Truck Stutters. Any Ideas?
Recently my truck has been acting rather strange. While driving roughly 45-55MPH and at 1000rpm-1500rpm when I lightly push down on the gas pedal the truck stutters. It feels almost like a hard downshift and it will keep doing this until I rev up above 2000rpm or let off of pedal. I have taken it to two different shops. One said the torque converter was going and the other shop said that it needed new plugs and a coil pack. Have any of you guys experienced something like this or know what could be causing this?
- When driving in 3'rd gear, the transmission shifts at about 40 - 45mph. The tach drops down a few thousand.
- When the above happens and I'm going up an incline/hill about like an on-ramp to the freeway might be, the car starts to 'stutter.' The tach twitches a little, not more than a 100 rpm and the speed stays about the same.
- If I turn off overdrive, the car downshifts, rpms go up and the stutter stops.
- If I am on flat and level ground it doesn't usually stutter.
- I've not seen this at any other speed, rpm, gear combo.
- I can press the accelerator down and get the speed up to about 50'ish and the stutter stops.
- I don't get any svc eng lights
2005 F-150 Super Crew Lariat 4x4
Last edited by backwoodsboy; 08-08-2010 at 09:48 PM.