Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Truck not starting. Please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 11:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Truck not starting. Please help

So my truck was running fine all day. I shut it off for an hour and when I went to go start it up it wouldn't. It's cranking and I'm getting power so I can rule out the battery. I changed out the fuel pump driver module a few months back so that can't be it. Any ideas guys?? This really really sucks

Thanks in advance,
MAC
Old 01-10-2017, 01:15 AM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I was driving home from work one night a year or so ago and my truck just cut off. It would turn over but not fire at all. Ended up being the fuel pump inside the fuel tank. You have to pull the bed or drop the fuel tank to replace it. I let the shop do it for me. They dropped the fuel tank to do it.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:44 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default I had intermittent trouble with fdm plug

I changed it because it was old and needed upgraded mounts . It kept stranding me as I went back and forth with the two modules . Turned out to be a rolled gasket in plug , pulled it out 10k ago no problems since . I read of other people with similar experience . Still haven't changed plug .
Old 01-10-2017, 01:01 PM

Ok so now my truck just started. What the f*ck is going on lol fuel pump taking a ****?
Old 01-10-2017, 01:37 PM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

My wife's Explorer was doing this. It would randomly not start. When that would happen I would cycle the key from run to off a few times to let the fuel pump run a few times. We ended up replacing the fuel pump and filter. My mechanic said it was very dirty. No problems since.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the connectors to the PCM unit. I am guessing the cold weather is causing a open circuit on one of the pins(use to have this problem on avionics wiring on A-7D). Use a good contact cleaner on all the connectors and apply a quality diaelectric compound to all the pins in each connector.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:37 PM

Thankyou guys for the responses. I'll be sure to check these things out
Old 01-11-2017, 05:14 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

A fuel pump is an electric motor. Its possible the stator within the motor gets into a spot where it does not spin when voltage/current is applied to the motor windings, which in turn make the moter spin against its magnets. Sometimes turning the key off/on a few times gets it off this "dead spot" and gets it working again.

So if it's the fuel pump, this situation of working/not working is a sign that its on its way to total failure. The way to check is to see if you have fuel pressure at the injector rails at the engine when the truck won't start. If there's pressure, then its not a fuel problem. If no fuel pressure, then get a hold of a multi-meter and probe for voltage at the fuel pump. With the key in the on position, there should be voltage at the pump. If there is, its going to be the fuel pump. You can try rapping on the fuel tank to see if the vibration gets the pump spinning again, but that's only going to be a temporary fix of course.

As stated, to replace the pump, you have to either drop the tank or remove the bed.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 01-11-2017 at 05:21 AM.