Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Truck Dies

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck Dies

I have done a brief search around here and other forums with no much help on my current problem.

With that said here are some facts about my truck:

2004 fx4
Screw Cab
5.4 3v
146,000 Miles
I run 5w 20 Oil

My truck will die while running. It was just when at a stop it would just die. If the rpm's were above idle it will not die. But the last few times it has died it was still rolling when it died. Some things that have been done to it are timing chain has been replaced, plugs, cam phasers have been done twice, VCT solenoids all within 6,000 miles. When the timing chain was done so were the cam phaser but they were not done with ford parts and they started to act up so I had them replaced with ford parts. In December I replaced the fuel filter for what I believed to be the first time. When I replaced the fuel filter I also cleaned the throttle body as well as replaced the MAF sensor. I have also just replaced the fuel filter again two weeks ago after it died for the first time since having the cam phasers done because when it died it seemed as if it didn't have enough fuel so I though perhaps it could be dirty again and I have only run premium since.

My truck has no noticeable noise. Not using any oil. No chain slap or phaser tick it sounds so smooth and quiet. So I am not sure as to what is causing it to die. No codes are being thrown either. I am honestly out of ideas as to what it could be. I know there are a lot of great minds for this stuff on this site so anything would be so much appreciated. Thank you all so much in advance.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:26 PM

Drop the rear spare tire and see if the fuel pump control module is corroded and dangling down, will be on the left side of the crossmember. I had a similar issue and changing that out with a new one with rubber spacers solved the issue.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:58 AM

Unfortanly I don't think my problem is so simple. My truck appears to have been replaced already. The fuel pump control module currently on the truck has spacers to get it away from the cross member already. I suppose I could still get a new one, the Dorman ones are about $60 online and for that price, it might be worth a shot. But is there any other opinions out there on what else it could be?
Old 04-26-2017, 07:38 AM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Hmmm tricky one. When it shuts off does it shake like a misfire or does it just shut off as if you turned the key off?
Old 04-26-2017, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by StephenG
Hmmm tricky one. When it shuts off does it shake like a misfire or does it just shut off as if you turned the key off?
It acts as if the key is being turned off. No shaking, no sputtering, just shuts off. But if the rpms are kept above 1000 I have not had it die.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:53 AM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Wow that's a tough one. Could be the PCM maybe? Hopefully someone else will chime in with some ideas.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:05 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I have experienced almost the identical issue with my 05 with 112k miles about 4 or 5 times. It just dies like someone turned off the key. Always starts right back up. No codes either. The one common thing each time it has happened for me, was that it was before the truck had reached operating temp. Its always happened in the morning, while taking the kids to school. Always while at a complete stop, or rolling into a complete stop. Makes your heart skip a beat. I took it to the shop after the first one, they didn't detect any issues. I'll follow this thread. Please report back a resolution if you find one.

Last edited by Bobby Lane; 04-26-2017 at 11:07 AM. Reason: added detail
Old 04-26-2017, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Bobby Lane
I have experienced almost the identical issue with my 05 with 112k miles about 4 or 5 times. It just dies like someone turned off the key. Always starts right back up. No codes either. The one common thing each time it has happened for me, was that it was before the truck had reached operating temp. Its always happened in the morning, while taking the kids to school. Always while at a complete stop, or rolling into a complete stop. Makes your heart skip a beat. I took it to the shop after the first one, they didn't detect any issues. I'll follow this thread. Please report back a resolution if you find one.
Sounds like the exact same issue I am having. The only difference with mine is operating temp doesn't matter. I have had it die right after starting it up and when it warmed up.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:51 PM

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Just a shot in the dark, is the timing off a tooth?
Old 04-26-2017, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jojodapyro
Just a shot in the dark, is the timing off a tooth?
There is no way to check that without pulling off the front of the engine, correct?