Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Transmission treatment

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 10:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission treatment

I have a 2005 f150 5.4 triton with an automatic transmission. Sometimes if I'm trying to go fast it has a hard time shifting and doesn't shift smoothly at all. Sometimes I have to let off the gas for a quick second and hit it again so it shifts. Me describing it is way worse than it actually is. So because of that I want to see if putting some transmission treatment or some kind of cleaner in it to see if it helps. I was looking at ZMAX transmission formula. So any thoughts on this or anything else I should use?
Old 09-20-2016, 12:45 AM

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

How many. Miles on truck? Has the tranny been serviced recently?
Old 09-20-2016, 04:43 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

I'm betting this 2005 still has it's original automatic transmission fluid in it. Before I dump any additive into the transmission, I'd have it serviced by a good transmission shop. At the very least, a pan drop, filter replacement, and 4 to 5 quarts of fresh automatic transmission fluid can be performed. Keep in mind that an automatic transmission in these trucks, along with their torque converter hold around 11 quarts, so the 5 quarts is only a partial fluid change. If the fluid is dark in color, burnt, or simply has lost its additive components, you're only going to mix 4 to 5 quarts with the remaining old fluid.

Many will repeat this procedure every 5 to 10 thousand miles, eventually doing a complete change by the constant 4 to 5 quart change. I personally chose to do a complete fluid change at one time. The "good" transmission shops use a low pressure flush system to extract all the fluid and replace it with new fluid. I've done this on several vehicles I've owned, with no ill effects. However, I've always had a transmission shop first check the transmission for any potential problems before doing the complete flush.

In your case though, if its never been done, has high mileage, or already has an issue with the transmission, a complete flush may not be a good option. Take it to a good transmission shop and have them inspect it and offer their opinion.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 09-20-2016 at 04:48 AM.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:51 PM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

I loathe and despise transmission additives... I wouldn't recommend anything other than Merc V trans fluid, but to each their own. I'd suggest a filter change and fluid drain to see if it clears you up. Like mentioned above though... depending on your method is how much trans fluid you'll get out.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:10 PM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Originally Posted by 05extlongbed
I have a 2005 f150 5.4 triton with an automatic transmission. Sometimes if I'm trying to go fast it has a hard time shifting and doesn't shift smoothly at all. Sometimes I have to let off the gas for a quick second and hit it again so it shifts. Me describing it is way worse than it actually is. So because of that I want to see if putting some transmission treatment or some kind of cleaner in it to see if it helps. I was looking at ZMAX transmission formula. So any thoughts on this or anything else I should use?

Don't add anything to your tranny Bro... service it properly
Old 09-20-2016, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by grss429
How many. Miles on truck? Has the tranny been serviced recently?
tranny was actually rebuilt 10 months ago
Old 09-20-2016, 07:18 PM

My tranny was rebuilt around a year after losing it about 9-10 months ago
Old 09-20-2016, 08:09 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Do you know if the rebuild is under warranty, or what shop did the work? I'd start there. Stay away from additives for sure. They're all a gimmick as far as I'm concerned.

I also installed a drain plug in my transmission pan. No more mess when I service the transmission. Just drop the plug, remove the bolts around the pan, install new filter, and put it back together.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by muddyford911
Do you know if the rebuild is under warranty, or what shop did the work? I'd start there. Stay away from additives for sure. They're all a gimmick as far as I'm concerned. I also installed a drain plug in my transmission pan. No more mess when I service the transmission. Just drop the plug, remove the bolts around the pan, install new filter, and put it back together.
it was a local shop in pa where I live. I'll see. Its not really working that bad though. It probably does this 5% of the time
Old 09-21-2016, 06:41 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

May be just a tad low on fluid .. fluid level good ?

Quick Reply: Transmission treatment