Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Transmission malfunction!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 11:51 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Exclamation Transmission malfunction!!!!!

So last night a friend called me to come pull him out. I got there and hooked everything up and got him pulled out. I was in 4x4 LOW and it was a fairly easy pull. I was kind of on slush and ice and snow and managed to get him out. Right as a got him out the built in display in the dash that shows the temperature and stuff like that beeped and said transmission malfunction. Right away my stomach dropped because im 18 and know it will be alot of money to pay for a new tranny. I was still pulling but i could tell something was wrong. Stopped right away and checked my edge for codes and nothing came up. Then when i was sitting there it lit up and showed my tranny temp was 232. i let it sit and idle and cool off to 185 and then just shut it off and let it sit all night. Went back this morning and put it in drive and it feels like it is taking of in a really high gear. 1st and 2nd dont work when you go past drive to them. Reverse works. Anyone have ideas on what it is? will i need a new one or just rebuild this one? estimate on cost?
Old 03-31-2013, 09:54 AM
Mark

Received 2,415 Likes on 2,116 Posts

Have you checked the fluid level...and the condition of the fluid..
Old 04-04-2013, 02:50 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

just got it back from ford and they said its shot. First and second shift selenoids are burned out. Fluid still looked fine. Tried clearing the codes and that didnt help any.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:57 PM
High School Hill Climber

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that is basically what happened to my dad in his 250. he pulled a trailer to tennessee. backed it in. and then his truck wouldnt pull forwards. reverse was fine but it felt like it was trying to start in a high gear. tranny was gone. total rebuild. it is fully built, kevlar, billet torque converter, everything. i think it cost him $2250.

Quick Reply: Transmission malfunction!!!!!