Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Transmission Failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Failure

I posted this in the engine/drivetrain talk but got no response so I figured I would try here.

I have a 2005 f150 (130,000 on the clock) with the 5.4 and 4x4. The tires are stock, I have an edge programmer that I used on setting 2, the tow performance one, with a custom tune that slightly advanced spark and firmed up the shifts. I don't tow and have only don't some light off roading but nothing in the last couple months. I use the edge to monitor the transmission temperature; I've never seen it get over 180 with the norm around 150-160 degrees F. Since it got cold out my truck has had a whine that I thought sounded like it was coming from the engine bay. It progressively got worse until it was always there but would get quieter when the motor warmed up.

Then earlier today I experienced what felt like a loss of power then the motor would rev up. The transmission would shudder and then it would be fine to drive. This happened 5 or 6 times in the 3 mile trip back to my house. I checked the tranny fluid, which was good, and put the edge back to stock and pulled the batter to reset the system.

Tonight I decided to try to drive it to the supermarket down the street to see if the problem persisted and if turning od on/off changed anything. It started fine then when I got about a mile from my house it started slipping again and revving up. It would barely move so I decided to turn around and go back home. I limped it a couple hundred feet before the transmission dash light came on and said transmission failure. I got it towed back to my house then used the edge to pull the codes. I got

p0720 - output speed shaft sensor
p0722 - output speed shaft sensor no signal
p0731 - incorrect first gear ratio
p1000 - OBD system readiness test not complete
p2106 - throttle actuator control system - forced limited power

Is there anything I should check or should I have it towed to the nearest ford dealer? Based on these I'm hoping its just some sensor or something simple. I'll get under it and check all the wires to the transmission tomorrow to see if any got loose or have issues.

Update: The whine is definitely coming from the transmission. I went out today to check the oss but didn't have the correct wrench size to remove it so I started the truck to see if the problem persisted. Upon start-up the motor idled at 1500 rpm and the transmission whine was very loud. Neither drive or reverse worked but I didn't rev it up above 2000 rpm, I've read it might engage at a higher rpm in 3rd or 4th so I might try that at some other time.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:40 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Let us know on the outcome, with that many miles you may be in need of a new tranny.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:59 PM

I went out today to see if it would move, when I turned the truck on the engine light stayed on. I put it in D and revved the truck up to 4k. It started to move forward but it didn't have enough to go up the hill. After a second or two the engine went into fail safe mode and the od light began flashing.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:27 PM

I went out and dropped the transmission pan today. I have another oss sensor but I didn't install it. Upon dropping the pan I found the fluid was very dark and had metal flakes in it. There were no pieces of metal larger than dust but the magnet was completely covered and the bottom of the pan had a layer of black crap that had a consistency closer to grease than tranny fluid. Any ideas what I should do? Should I install a new filter, clean the pan and install the new oss or is it time to have the transmission replaced/rebuilt?

Transmission Failure-d04ib.jpg
Old 12-05-2012, 04:37 PM

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Same thing happened to my 04 fx4 with a 5.4 at 127k. At first it just did the shutter thing you were talking about and then one day it just wouldn't go at a stop sign in my neighborhood. It would rev up and barely move around 3-4k rpms. The transmission light came on and the dash said transmission failure. I put it in reverse and it worked so I backed to my house and had it towed to the ford dealership. It needed a new transmission.

Last edited by 150FX4ever; 12-05-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:09 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

In my 04 I had to get a new tranny at 150k or so, and then I had to get another one at 260k or so. Each time mine started shuttering when I would take off, then got a whine noise (sounded like a power steering pump going). Once I just lost 3rd gear, once 1st gear. I felt once it was revving up while driving in gear I was past the point of a flush and filter fixing it. But a friend that has a 3 series BMW like I had got a flush/filter because his seemed to be slipping, and he said it fixed it.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:03 AM
DIY

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I got the same p0722 and 3 more codes today. Didn't got codes last week but having the same problem you described. I'm already in the dealer so I will let them check it. I got the codes in the way here, driving the truck in limping mode.
Per other sites, with p0722 the procedure is to remove that sensor, which have a magnetic tip and is in top of the transmission tail. Check for shavings. If any, is bigger problem. If not, maybe just the sensor is reporting low voltage, is damaged and needs replacement. I'm hopping for the last..... Fingers cross.... Only 75000 miles in my 2005 engine so far and mostly highway driving and with a motorcycle in the bed from time to time...
Old 12-10-2012, 09:59 AM
jaxwireman

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I had the same trouble codes after a tranny rebuild, the sensors are not part of the rebuild, go figure! It did elimnate the trouble code for input and output sensors, trans fail and throttle actuator. I think they all relate to each other as far as the pcm data is relayed. But the not moving part sounds like slipping cluthes, the small metal and build up on the magnet for the mileage is about normal and that why its there it does look like there is sludge in the pan that may be excesive but hard to tell from pic. If you get a rebuild try to get a break down of exactly what they do and don't, I was kind of aggrevated they dont include those sensors for the price we pay to have these things rebuilt.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:31 AM
DIY

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

worst case scenary it is. remanufacture transmission and trans cooler, 8 hours of labor, $3100 at the ford dealer..... 3 year/100000 miles warranty.
checking for prices now before to give the ggo ahead...
very sad, only 75000 miles.... i love the truck, but i have to say, all my previous (japanese) cars, i sold well over 150000 and the expensive maintenance was timing chain replacement....
Old 12-10-2012, 10:47 AM
jaxwireman

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by picaflor
worst case scenary it is. remanufacture transmission and trans cooler, 8 hours of labor, $3100 at the ford dealer..... 3 year/100000 miles warranty.
checking for prices now before to give the ggo ahead...
very sad, only 75000 miles.... i love the truck, but i have to say, all my previous (japanese) cars, i sold well over 150000 and the expensive maintenance was timing chain replacement....

I agree on such low milage but not uncommon, I got 120,000 out of mine but pulling a oat every weekend I was really to mad. Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Transmission Failure