Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Transmission Doing Something Strange

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Doing Something Strange

Hello All, I have a 2008 F150 Lariat 5.4l 3v 2wd ~86kmiles

I wanted to see if someone can shed some light on what may be going on with my transmission. First off, let me say that it only seems to do it when I first start driving and after the engine seems to warm up and goes away and will usually just do it when driving slowly(up to about 25mph).

The issue is when I start to drive it will jerk a little bit as if it completely skipped 2nd gear and went straight to third because my rpm will go to under 1 about 0.5 to be exact. It almost feels like someone learning to drive a stick shift..lol. Now the most concerning thing is when this issue happens when I come to a stop there will be a grinding noise. That just cant be good. Again after the engine starts to warm and after I do a bit of driving it will no longer do it unless I reach stop and go traffic.

Is it possible I need a rebuild? Or could it be something simpler like a solenoid? I did take it back to the dealer where I bought the truck and we started off with just trying to update the PCM which seemed to help at least for a day or two.

Any advice or some things to troubleshoot would be great
Old 08-30-2016, 10:19 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

take it for a Ford dealer and see if TSB 08-14-3 applies

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/ti...sb08-14-03.pdf
Old 08-31-2016, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by mitymerc
take it for a Ford dealer and see if TSB 08-14-3 applies

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/ti...sb08-14-03.pdf
They did update the PCM when I took it to them. It seemed to help for a day or two then went back to having same issue. Would that TSB have different settings for them to input? He said there was an update for my truck and they updated it to the latest
Old 08-31-2016, 06:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I had the issue you describe, I would change the trans fluid and filter. At 86K it is getting close to time to do it anyhow.

That may or may not cure your issue, but it certainly can't hurt. Once done, you're good for another 86K miles (or the recommended 100K).

Good Luck, L.M.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:58 PM

Received 280 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyCakes
Hello All, I have a 2008 F150 Lariat 5.4l 3v 2wd ~86kmiles

I wanted to see if someone can shed some light on what may be going on with my transmission. First off, let me say that it only seems to do it when I first start driving and after the engine seems to warm up and goes away and will usually just do it when driving slowly(up to about 25mph).

The issue is when I start to drive it will jerk a little bit as if it completely skipped 2nd gear and went straight to third because my rpm will go to under 1 about 0.5 to be exact. It almost feels like someone learning to drive a stick shift..lol. Now the most concerning thing is when this issue happens when I come to a stop there will be a grinding noise. That just cant be good. Again after the engine starts to warm and after I do a bit of driving it will no longer do it unless I reach stop and go traffic.

Is it possible I need a rebuild? Or could it be something simpler like a solenoid? I did take it back to the dealer where I bought the truck and we started off with just trying to update the PCM which seemed to help at least for a day or two.

Any advice or some things to troubleshoot would be great
I recently had the same issue with mine. I believe it to be the TTC solenoid in the transmission. Mine was less than $300 to install. I'm gonna repost a link to my post on another forum.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:59 PM

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/sh...0#post16502630
Old 08-31-2016, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by srb1194
I recently had the same issue with mine. I believe it to be the TTC solenoid in the transmission. Mine was less than $300 to install. I'm gonna repost a link to my post on another forum.
Thanks for the responses! I'll try changing the solenoid and fluid and see if that helps. I just couldn't imagine a truck needing a rebuild tranny after 80k! I'll keep you guys posted. Not sure when I'll get around to doing it but needs to be soon!
Old 08-31-2016, 07:27 PM

Received 353 Likes on 285 Posts

Sounds like your TC may be locking prematurely. Could possibly be the solenoid, could also be the TPS. However the grinding noise would have me a bit concerned. Dropping the pan for an inspection would be my first course of action. Good luck!
Old 08-31-2016, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by srb1194

Hey just to clarify, do you mean the TCC solenoid not TTC? I can't find any information on TTC. Stupid question I know but just wanted to clarify.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:20 PM

Yes, TCC. Sorry must have been a typo. Also, I felt the same type noise/vibration. Almost feels like you ran over some rumble strips. I think it's the torque converter shuttering.

Quick Reply: Transmission Doing Something Strange