Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Trans Fault Error and what needs done

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 11:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trans Fault Error and what needs done

I have a 2008 STX 4.6 liter engine. It also has 102,300 miles on it. I just bought the truck back in Sept 2013. During the winter on the really cold days, within 5 minutes of starting my truck up, I would get the trans fault error and the O/D off light flashing. Since it was only happening on the extremely cold days, I didn't think anything of it and chalked it up to the sensor, but now that it's warm I am still getting it from time to time. All within five minutes of starting the truck up. It doesn't always do it.
When I went to get my oil change the mechanic said that my transmission fluid had metal shavings in it and recommended I get it flushed. I set up an appointment at my dealership because I wanted them to take a better look at the Trans fault error. I bought the truck at a Mazda dealership and it has a 1 year warranty. The mechanic said that metal shavings are common and that flushing the transmission and putting in new fluid can cause sever damage and said I should be fine. Unfortunately, I don't think this is fine and I found a link to another F150 owner who described the exact same issues I am running into. He took it to Ford and said either the transmission gets replaced or a new torque converter.
Here is the link I am referring too.
http://romej.com/2012/05/trans-fault-in-my-ford-f-150

Mazda said that they don't have the proper tools to hook my truck up to read the error code.

I'm looking for the least expensive way of getting this corrected. I believe my limited warranty covers a transmission replacement, it's getting Mazda to do it that could be the problem. Does Autozone or Pep Boys have these devices to check for customers and then give me the code to decipher?
I'm wondering if I take it to Ford would they honor the warranty I had to get to finance my truck since Mazda may be clueless on this one.
I am not mechanically inclined to dig into my truck like most on here or have any room to do work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated on what I can do to resolve this.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a similar issue in the fall. I would occasionally get the TRANS FAULT with the O/D flashing. It would go away after restarting the vehicle so I didn't think much of it until I got a check engine light with it one day. Took it to Autozone get the code read and found it to be the Transmission Range Sensor. Got it replaced and haven't had anymore issues.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:30 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

If there is metal in the pan that is not good at all NO trans should have metal in the pan. I have see this few times what happens is that there is a temp sensor in the trans lead frame and a shaving of metal sits on the contacts and shorts out the sensor. That causes the sensor to read max hot (I think)

any slippage or grinding?
Old 05-14-2014, 10:43 AM

No slipping or grinding. It didn't do it yesterday or this morning. I am waiting for it to go off again and then I'm going directly to Autozone to get the code.

I've been told a few times that metal shavings are normal in transmission fluid over time. Now if it's chunks then there is a bigger issue.

So you think it could be the sensor? I'm hoping that's all it is. I can deal with that.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:47 PM

Yes if the code is a Trans temp code then that would be my guess and if you are going to drop the pan you might want to change the filter while you are in there and check the magnet and see how much metal is in there
The following users liked this post:
Don Snyder (05-14-2014)
Old 05-14-2014, 12:49 PM

Thanks. As soon as I get the error again, I'm going to find out. When/If I have to get the sensor changed, I'll have them drop the pan and check all of that.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:38 PM

The computer may store that code... Not sure but it might have it as cmdtc
Old 05-14-2014, 06:06 PM

Well the trans fault error popped up as I was leaving work. I stopped at Autozone and their device only reads check engine light codes, but they tried anyway and it came back with zero code. They suggested I take it to Ford or a local mechanic I can trust.

Quick Reply: Trans Fault Error and what needs done