Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

trailer wiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trailer wiring

i have a 2008 f150 xl 4.2V6 2WD. i have the flat 4 trailer wiring hook up right now but recently got a boat the requires a 7 pin wiring connector. so i bought a 7 pin adapter and im lost on what to do with my 4 extra wires. the adapter i bought plugs in to my flat 4 but the problem is i dont know where to plug the other wires in at
Old 05-13-2010, 08:40 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The blue is for trailer brakes, the black is 12v and the orange is auxillary. The others are brown-taillights, green-right turn, yellow-left turn, and white-ground.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder what on a boat trailed needs the extra wires is there a battery charger for the trolling motor, trailer brakes (maybe elec over hyd) I thionk that is the bigger question.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:48 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gageelder
i have a 2008 f150 xl 4.2V6 2WD. i have the flat 4 trailer wiring hook up right now but recently got a boat the requires a 7 pin wiring connector. so i bought a 7 pin adapter and im lost on what to do with my 4 extra wires. the adapter i bought plugs in to my flat 4 but the problem is i dont know where to plug the other wires in at
The "4 extra wires" tap into the wiring harness coming from the front of your truck. If you look at the OEM plug, where your factory 4 wire plugs in, you will notice that there is a Blue wire on one side but it does not come out on the 4 wire plug side, that is your brake control wire so you need to splice the Blue wire on your adapter to that wire and ground the White wire. The Black and Yellow (may splice into different color so make sure you identify what you want to run) on your adapter are as stated above and if you need to you just splice them also. Here is a website that explains better:

http://www.randpcarriages.com/tech/brakecontrol.html

Last edited by stmar; 05-14-2010 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:21 AM
cwcw

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

A 7 pin plug has the ability for the truck to use trailer brakes where a 4 flat doesnt have the ability to use the trailer brakes. I had to pull a tandom axle cargo trailer a few times 3 years ago and got an adaptor that would plug into the 4 flat connector that my truck came with and that would plug into the 7 pin plug that the trailer came with. It would allow me to use all the lights on the trailer but i couldnt utilize the trailer brakes. If your boat is tandom axle and has a 7 pin plug, im pretty sure you have trailer brakes on your trailer. If you dont have the extra trailer brake wires right at the hitch that are not ran into the 4 flat connector that your truck came with, you wont be able to utilize the brakes on your boat trailer if it has them. Your F150 should be equiped with the ability to run trailer brakes if you only have the 4 flat plug but you have to have a brake controller to set that up.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alright, thanks for the help guys i guess all i need to do is plug it in and not worry about connecting any of the extra wires since i do not have a brake controller

Quick Reply: trailer wiring