Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Tow mirrors on a 07 f150 XL

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 06:41 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Tow mirrors on a 07 f150 XL

Hey gents I'm looking into getting some tow mirrors to replace my crappy oem mirrors on my 2007 XL. I have The ones where you have to move the whole housing not just the mirror glass itself. they are non powered at all and have no blinkers or lights on them. As far as I know I don't have any connections behind my current mirrors, BUT I COULD BE WRONG. the ones I'm looking at have a plug for puddle lights, blinker, heat, and power adjusting. I don't care about anything other than the blinkers. Those would be cool to have functioning. I was wondering If anyone has done this? And if you could give me some pointers, anything would help. I would hate to spend almost 300 for some mirrors I hate.

Thanks for reading
-xMUDKINGx
Old 01-31-2016, 06:42 PM

Here you can see my current mirrors #ugly
Attached Thumbnails Tow mirrors on a 07 f150 XL-image-601496415.jpg  
Old 01-31-2016, 07:45 PM

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

I'd be shocked if you had any wires at all -- my guess is you have nothing running to the mirrors.

If you have anything, it will be the up/down wires for the power control (not fold, just move).

If you want signals, you'll need to tap the turn signal wires under the column (very easy), and wire up a ground.

If the mirrors have puddle lights, you can wire those easily with just one more wire to the illumination wire found in the bundle next to the ebrake,

I just went through all this mess with my XLT putting power fold mirrors on my truck. Ran lots of wires. Took me a full day, but I love 'em.
The following users liked this post:
xMUDKINGx (01-31-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 07:47 PM

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

One more thing. Pull your door panel and send me a picture of the wires you have (if any) -- we'll go from there.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:43 PM

Inside my door I have literally no wires except the two that go to the door speaker. I have Manual Windows and manual locks incase you were wondering. I can imagine running the wires for the blinkers and wiring the puddle lights probably to my fuse box. I think I'm going to try wiring them into the dome light fuse so whenever I turn the dome light on they will come on too. My dome light stays on for like 15 seconds after I turn the truck off and take they keys out so I think that would be the best. I have blue underglow as well so I don't really need puddle lights but i think it would be awesome to put some blue led bulbs in the puddle lights to match.
Attached Thumbnails Tow mirrors on a 07 f150 XL-image-2140831475.jpg  
Old 01-31-2016, 09:46 PM

I was really wondering about moving them without power. I guess I could rig something up to move them with the motor, but that sounds like a pain in the you know what. Do you think I would be alright just moving them by hand. I know it's not good to do that, but I never adjust my mirrors so I can't see it being that bad for them.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put towing mirrors on my 2005 F150 FX4. Got them from A1Auto. Power fold, heat, turn signal and one other light you can wire however you want. I made mine a parking light. They appear alot bigger than my stock mirrors and the power fold option is awesome. They extend manually for towing my enclosed 20ft car hauler. The mirrors came with a stock plug that cover the heat and turn signal. It also came with two other 2 wire pigtails for power fold and the optional light. All wiring to connet the pigtails to existing wiring in the truck and a pushbutton to fold/unfold the mirrors that installs in the dash comes with it. I wired the power fold into the accessory delay relay output so I can still fold if I forget to do it before turning the igniton off.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:39 PM
What base model?

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have totally manual tow mirrors on my 04 XL and I sucked it up and left them totally manual. Once I got them adjusted just right after multiple times of adjusting them, getting in the drivers seat, looking to see if they were good, getting back out, adjusting them again,getting back in, etc., I wished I had got the power ones. But after a while, the only times they ever get out of position is when I folded them in and accidentally hit the glass and when someone new was in the truck and moved the glass. I have to fold in the driver side mirror when I go through drive-thrus and when I go to Sonic lol. But that's not much of a hassle since the window's down anyways. We have XLs, not Lariats. Sometimes we just have to work with what we got haha.
xMUDKINGx (02-01-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 04:43 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

You can buy the plugs online for under 40 bucks (each) and wire them into the front turn signals to make the blinkers work. I did this on my 2007 STX that came from the factory with "power nothing"; no factory wiring for any of these accessories (outside mirrors, windows, door locks). Below is a diagram of the wiring for the outside power mirrors. You will only need a ground wire (pin 8 - run it to one of the three mirror mounting bolts), and the turn signal wire (pin 10 - left or right turn signal).
For the turn signal, be sure to tap into the front turn signal wire for the left/right, as the rear turn signal wiring is also for the brake lights. If you use the rear wiring (easy to get to, as it's in the door jamb channel), the outside mirror lights will also glow when you press the brakes. Also be aware its a bit extra work to snake the turn signal wire into the door; the large rubber tube has a plug where it connects to the door jamb. I drilled a small hole above this tube (at the door lamb), used a coat hanger to feed it through, then punched a small hole in the rubber tube to feed it into the door.
Save money and buy the mirror wiring plugs from a junkyard; just cut it off leaving enough wire to tap onto.
Attached Thumbnails Tow mirrors on a 07 f150 XL-2007-f150-mirror_wiring.jpg  

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 02-01-2016 at 04:46 AM.
xMUDKINGx (02-01-2016)
Old 03-01-2019, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Truck looks great man! What mods did you do? I wanted to get the same setup on mine.

Quick Reply: Tow mirrors on a 07 f150 XL