Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

tow hooks with a bull guard ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tow hooks with a bull guard ?

anyone know if you can put factory tow hooks back on with a bull guard one the front ? i love the factory closed tow hooks but i want to put a bull guard on my truck. ive heard you cant have tow hooks bolt back in facotry location when you put on a bull guard this true ? any one have pictures please share
Old 03-04-2011, 04:33 PM
04 F150 FX4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it depends on the guard you purchase. It should say whether it will or will not accept the factory tow hooks.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:52 PM

You can do anything you set your mind too.......

The design of my bullbar would not allow the tow hooks, however with a block of steel and some longer bolts, I will be putting mine back on... I'm just waiting for it to warm up because I have no heat in the garage.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:02 PM
VanoFord2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rollingthunder
You can do anything you set your mind too.......

The design of my bullbar would not allow the tow hooks, however with a block of steel and some longer bolts, I will be putting mine back on... I'm just waiting for it to warm up because I have no heat in the garage.
Dude,make sure you post pics when you do this.I want my tow hooks back.They wouldnt fit with my Westin Bull bar i installed 3 weeks ago
Old 03-05-2011, 10:20 AM

Default me too

There is a post in a similar thread with pics of a Raptor with tow loops mounted to the inside of his bullbar. I can't tell how he did it though. the loops are mounted up and down instead of parallel to the ground. I want a bullbar with light bad, but don't want to lose my hooks.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:22 AM

I may just go to the shop and work on this today, not really anything better to do. If I do, I'll be sure to post pics.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:37 AM

I found the picture of the Raptor with the custom tow hooks. Looks good but I can't tell what he did. hope the pic makes it to this post. I'm not a computer expert.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by makerstr20x

I found the picture of the Raptor with the custom tow hooks. Looks good but I can't tell what he did. hope the pic makes it to this post. I'm not a computer expert.

Hmm... That would not work for me as I need somewhere to put my license plate.

If I bought a new factory license plate holder I could remove the decorative plate and put the plate in the factory spot(i butchered mine when I put my bull bar on)...

It's a idea though..

I need to get off the couch....
Old 03-05-2011, 12:57 PM

Well, i just looked at it, and the only possible way I see is either A. Cutting the black plastic and putting them vertical like the picture above, however on the outside instead of the inside. or B. Making a 3" block, I'm not sure how affective a 3" block would be due to the length of bolt required, and thread depth.

If I made it so it was more of a adapter instead of a spacer I suppose it would be ok.

I'll have to call around to the steel suppliers around here on monday and get some 3x4 tool steel.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:25 PM

I don't have a bull bar to go by yet, but I'm thinking along the lines you are rollingthunder. If I got a heavy piece of angle steel with the down leg of the steel inboard, placed it between the frame and the light-weight bracket for the bull bar, I could bolt the hooks to the down leg of the steel like in the picture and then mount the bull bar to its flimsy bracket. I'll have to get a bar and mock it up to see if it will work. If there is not enough room between the plastic and the hooks, I'll flip the anlge and mount them to the outside like you have suggested.

Quick Reply: tow hooks with a bull guard ?