Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Totally lost with the IWE system on my '05

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 06:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Totally lost with the IWE system on my '05

New member to the forum, but ive looked around at posts before.

So I have a problem with my IWE system that I cannot figure out. I read through a couple troubleshooting threads on here and elsewhere and tried everything including the wheels off the ground testing with the truck on and off, running vacuum tests on the lines, and pulling everything apart and inspecting it, and replaced basically the entire system (hubs, actuators, vacuum lines, solenoid, vacuum reservoir, and check valves all new) and still nothing.

The problem is that I cannot engage 4wd while moving at speeds higher than around 5 mph. There is a slight humming/scratching noise when i initially flip to 4H, and about a second later the actuators skip and make the ratcheting noise until i slow down and then theyll drop into place. I noticed while I had everything pulled apart that the actuators would drop into place very slowly if I put it in 4wd with the ESOL switch in the cab, but they would drop very quickly if I just pulled off the vacuum line.

I'm thinking the problem lies in venting off the vacuum too slowly, but I've done the solenoid twice now (first dorman, then motorcraft) and just threw new vacuum lines on today. So at this rate, any advice is much appreciated.

Sorry for the long read, but i've been doing a whole lot of research on this and I'm out of ideas lol