Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

tire vibration/shaking

Old 09-05-2012, 11:08 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default tire vibration/shaking

I replaced the hub assembly (wheel bearing) everything worked good, except the 4 wheel drive, when i engaged it it sounded like i may have snapped some teeth on my new assembly. So a week later i tore it apart again to check the teeth and 4x4 everything looked ok. I put it back together and now if i drive 50 or over it vibrates like hell until i slow down under 30. Or if i hold a speed like 45 its fine for about a mile or two then the vibration starts again until i slow to under 30. I can feel the vibration in the steering wheel, but not in the brakes.

I've taken it apart a third time but can't figure anything out, anyone have any ideas?
Old 09-06-2012, 02:34 AM

Received 123 Likes on 118 Posts

Vibration sounds like what Im having..except I found out that during my last offroad trip, my drivers side wheel weight is missing...getting it fixed in the morning.

If your 4x4 isnt working, check the actuators (part on inner hub that the CV's connect to). Also check to make sure you are getting proper vacuum in your lines so it can engage the 4x4 system properly. I am having to replace my actuators and IWE solenoid next week.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:36 AM

Update: well I'm thinking its something with my 4wheel drive, i drove home from work today and nothing was wrong all of a sudden.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by 06F150CFCT
Vibration sounds like what Im having..except I found out that during my last offroad trip, my drivers side wheel weight is missing...getting it fixed in the morning.

If your 4x4 isnt working, check the actuators (part on inner hub that the CV's connect to). Also check to make sure you are getting proper vacuum in your lines so it can engage the 4x4 system properly. I am having to replace my actuators and IWE solenoid next week.
Yeah. I have almost no vacuum at the IWE, strapped for cash so waiting until Friday going to look up some new check valves and the solenoid. And hopefully a vacuum pump to test the IWE.
It been a crazy few weeks with this truck
Old 09-06-2012, 08:25 AM

Good luck man. hope you figure it out.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:18 AM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Blow all your vac lines out with brake cleaner and some compressed air. Give the check valves a shot of cleaner as well, but avoid the psi on those - a bit of lung pressure will be enough to clear them out. Make sure you pull apart as many couplings and connections as possible to make sure they're not gummed up anywhere. Only a couple things that can cause low/no vac at the IWE. Sounds like your IWe's were engaging, which could explain the vibrations as your CV's would be spinning.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by lariatboy
Blow all your vac lines out with brake cleaner and some compressed air. Give the check valves a shot of cleaner as well, but avoid the psi on those - a bit of lung pressure will be enough to clear them out. Make sure you pull apart as many couplings and connections as possible to make sure they're not gummed up anywhere. Only a couple things that can cause low/no vac at the IWE. Sounds like your IWe's were engaging, which could explain the vibrations as your CV's would be spinning.
Can you do this without ripping the tires off? All you gotta do is unplug the hose off the actuator right? There is no need to put the truck on a jack??
Old 09-06-2012, 03:24 PM

I'll give that a shot Saturday
Old 09-07-2012, 05:52 AM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Can all be done without touching tires or jacking. Pull lines off both actuators, then pull apart the Tee in the vac line above your passenger side IWE - this is where the line shoots over to your drivers side. Pull both check valves off( one behind your battery, one above the right side of your intake manifold.) Dont blow anything 'upstream' ie. from the first check valve back towards the manifold.

Be gentle with the check valves. Also make sure there are no holes in your vac reservoir behind the battery. If you need any vac line, connector, or check valve replacements, you can buy segments of the entire system at the dealership. They may try to tell you that you have to buy the whole system, but tell them to shove it and that ford spec'd the system so it could be bought in sections.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: tire vibration/shaking