Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Tire pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 01:39 PM
Proud F150 Owner!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Tire pressure?

A few weeks back I had my tires rotated, BFG all terrains. The tire shop checked the pressure in each tire once they were mounted. Being LT tires, the recommended PSI on the sidewall is 80. However today when I put the tire pressure gauge on them, they all read 42. Correct me if I'm wrong but they are supposed to be 80 right? I'm just wondering what the guys at the shop were thinking, seeing as BFG AT's are clearly LT tires and not P rated. Am I wrong or should they be filled up more?
Old 07-06-2013, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The marking on the sidewall is the max cold psi the tire can hold. that is not necessarily the psi the tire should be set at. being that they are LT tires the shop installing them was correct in setting them a little higher than what the placard on the door jam stated. Some of the other members here may be able to let you know if/what the actual formula is for determining the proper tire pressure for an LT tire on a vehicle that came with P-Metric tires is.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FStorm150
A few weeks back I had my tires rotated, BFG all terrains. The tire shop checked the pressure in each tire once they were mounted. Being LT tires, the recommended PSI on the sidewall is 80. However today when I put the tire pressure gauge on them, they all read 42. Correct me if I'm wrong but they are supposed to be 80 right? I'm just wondering what the guys at the shop were thinking, seeing as BFG AT's are clearly LT tires and not P rated. Am I wrong or should they be filled up more?
You only need that much pressure if you have are carrying a lot of weight. With 80 psi the ride would be horrible. I believe my Bfg's are set at 45 psi
Old 07-06-2013, 04:36 PM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by murph91
You only need that much pressure if you have are carrying a lot of weight. With 80 psi the ride would be horrible. I believe my Bfg's are set at 45 psi
I had mine at 45 for a while then backed em.down to 38 for a better ride. Im not towing so I dont need the 45 or higher.

Quick Reply: Tire pressure?