Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

ticking under the hood

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 09:47 PM
RoosteR88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face ticking under the hood

08 f150 v6 4.2 manual, it sounds like a exhaust leak at the headers, but with a semi loud ticking, the ticking, is corresponding with rpms(loudness as well), cant find a leak anywhere..any ideas?
Old 03-16-2010, 09:51 PM

if it just started it wont show up right away say about a week after it has been ticking you should see black streaks if there is an exhaust leak around the heads... does it go away after it warms up or no?
Old 03-17-2010, 01:24 AM
RoosteR88

i wish, it doesnt, it only gets worse, im starting to think it might be the cat, or the headers.. thnx
Old 03-17-2010, 05:37 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

i have read that some of these trucks have bad lifters from the factory... i too have 08 4.2... and ive talked to some other guys with the same truck that has had there lifters reaplaced due to failure.... if you thanks its an exhoust leak... start the truck and put your hand over the exhoust and have someone listen under the hood for a change..... dont hold it on there too long
Old 03-17-2010, 06:57 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Another trick I've used to determine an exhaust leak verses a lifter is to use a stick; about 3 feet in length. Place the stick on the valve cover (on the side of the engine where the noise appears to come from). Place the other end of the stick at your ear. If the lifter is the culprit, this trick will make it very obvious, as the sound will transfer through the stick to your ear.

Don't do it for an exhaust leak, as the stick will heat up and smell obviously!

Exhaust ticking is an unique sound, plus as "sjoholm" points out, you'll see carbon tracking at the point of the leak, and it will only take a day for this to appear. Symptoms of an exhaust manifold leak would be that the noise is low or non existing when the engine is cold, but becomes obvious as the engine warms up, as metal expands as it warms, making the leak louder and more obvious.

So, is the noise low or non-existant at cold startup, getting louder after warm up? If so, I'd steer towards an exhaust leak.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:43 PM
RoosteR88

Default thank you

its a low sound, but its strait from the start, it seems the higher rpms the more defined the noise, or if the engine is working harder.. but its not as loud as a lifter, and it doesnt feel as violent as one..and the motor doesnt shift like when a lifter is stuck.. the tapping sounds like putting a baseball card in between spokes on a bike..i get hear it on a down shift or on putput drive, but on the freeway or aggresive accl.. its extremly noticable..
Old 03-28-2010, 02:34 PM

i just fixed my truck that was doing the exact same thing with the ticking noise and got louder as i accelerated and turned out to be a cracked manifold and i had a broken stud causing a gap between the manifold and engine block so the gasket was not sealing. dealer wanted 800 bucks to fix so i just fixed it myself.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:37 AM
RoosteR88

Default oil?

found a massive oil leak coming from the front of the oil pan, idk if it has to do with the sound but waiting to find out more, ended up bringing her in.. guess we'll see thanks to everyone for their input!!
Old 03-30-2010, 07:16 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Rooster88
found a massive oil leak coming from the front of the oil pan, idk if it has to do with the sound but waiting to find out more, ended up bringing her in.. guess we'll see thanks to everyone for their input!!
Low oil/low oil pressure can do havic to the engines internals. One of the best characteristics of these Ford engines is that they hold 6 quarts (our 4.2's) and 7 quarts (5.4's); a very good thing.

Let's hope you do not have any internal damage due to low oil level/oil pressure due to that leak.

On a side note, 4.2's with low mileage can be had for cheap on Ebay. I recently bought one for a spare engine for $600.00 bucks shipped with under 34K mileage. As I've stated on this forum before, I plan to hold onto my 2005 STX for a very long time.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:34 AM
RoosteR88

Default ahh sh*t

so i had the oil prob fixed, seemed to be my pully was leaking.. but that damn noise is still there.. im so lost i dont know what to look at.. and it seems like anyone new to my truck doesnt hear it.. everyone that has been in it can tell the diffrence.. idk..

Quick Reply: ticking under the hood