Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Throttle Body Cleaning/ TPS replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 10:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Throttle Body Cleaning/ TPS replacement

So, my truck did the same thing that I've read on here a few times. The accelerator would all of the sudden stop responding, the little wrench light would come on, but the engine would keep running. The truck would idle and move forward/backward. So, I assumed the TPS (throttle position sensor) had gone bad. I went a bought a new TPS (which cost about $90). While I was there, I bought some throttle body cleaner and MAF cleaner.

I took off the throttle body, which was an EASY job. The throttle body was filthy (see the pictures below). So, I cleaned it all off, put of the new TPS, put it all back together and voila!...it wouldn't crank...I decided to put the old TPS on, since it would at least crank with the old one on. This time, it cranks right up and has run fine ever since. I've decided to just leave the old TPS in place unless it happens again. I guess maybe cleaning everything off is enough to fix the original problem.

Here are pictures of the throttle body. I didn't take any "after" pictures. Just imagine it without any black stuff.

The top side isn't too bad. Most of the gunk is one the bottom.

Quick Reply: Throttle Body Cleaning/ TPS replacement