Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

thinkng of trading and no more f150s for me

Old 04-23-2013, 09:53 PM
2005 XLT F150

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default thinkng of trading and no more f150s for me

i need a reliable vehicle.. my f150 has been a pita sincr i bought it last summer replaced phasers and everythibg else .. last week drivers side phaser total failure .stuck in full retard thanks to dorman.. ordered all ford oem parts after i replace it for the 2nd time in less than a year km thinking of dumping it quickly i juat dont trust its gonna last .. i want a truck but NO FORDS
Old 04-23-2013, 10:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck in your new search bro. Word of advice, whatever you do don't get on any forums to research new trucks you are considering buying. Just my opinion anyway,I was in the market for a new truck but after going to the f150 current gen section it ruined it for me. My next vehicle might possibly be something other than ford also. I hate to say it but I just did.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:12 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by gforceman
i need a reliable vehicle.. my f150 has been a pita sincr i bought it last summer replaced phasers and everythibg else .. last week drivers side phaser total failure .stuck in full retard thanks to dorman.. ordered all ford oem parts after i replace it for the 2nd time in less than a year km thinking of dumping it quickly i juat dont trust its gonna last .. i want a truck but NO FORDS
Lock out the phazer, no need to replace the current broken ones.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:56 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

My opinion. Your gonna find lemons and cons about every brand out there. Forums are where people go to find solutions to problems more often than just bragging, so of course you will see a lot of bad. Good luck with whatever you buy. I've always owned a ford truck and will never own anything different. And the dorman replacements are garbage. I haven't read any good on them, that's a part problem not fords. Ya the phasers can be annoying but that's what you get when it's new tech. And with auto makers always trying to have the next big thing it's gonna happen a lot. Again I say good luck but It goes back to your gonna find problems with all brands. You want true reliability get a diesel. They run longer, pull harder, and cost twice as much to maintain.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:03 AM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I have owned fords since i good drive and have owned new ones since 1997. 8 new ford trucks gas and desiels and 2 new ford cars. You should Just keep buying new ones and once the warranty is about to end trade in buy a new one. It is almost a must with the desiels due to the cost of everything related to it.

All i can say it doesnt matter to name on the truck as long as you are happy with it. But for me it will always be FORD !!!
Old 04-24-2013, 07:39 AM
American member

Received 1,058 Likes on 843 Posts

I've owned 3 Chevy trucks and 3 ford trucks all new purchases, plus some random cars so far.
Two of the the Chevy trucks and my chevelle left me stranded. Although, yes the fords have had their share of equal problems, they all got me back home.
Until they don't I'm a ford guy.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:24 AM
2005 XLT F150

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

next time i look for a vehicle ill definitely will seach the forums i been a ford fan for 30 years and figured rhe f150 has been #1 best selling truck for a long time. i blame after market parts also my mistake. vehicles now adays are throw away after warrantys expire.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:15 AM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Honestly, it's not the truck, it's that 5.4 3v. I had my own nightmare problems with that motor nickle and dimming me. There's some truth about forums, I though about a newer Tundra and went on a forum, found issues with that 5.7 too. My next truck will be the 5.0.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:42 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

The 5.4 3v isn't a bad motor it just has a couple problems that need to be fixed. Ya that being said there are going to be bad ones in the bunch. Just sad when someone condemns a whole line of product because of a few problems. I have an 08 with all the problems fixed from the factory. It never tick and I have never had a problem with it. I believe and this is my opinion, if you fix the known problems with the phasers you'll have a great motor and that's been proven by others. They are known problems and put out there for a reason.

The biggest thing is maintenance on the vehicle not being done. Whether but the current owners or previous ones.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:57 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

In all honesty the 5.4 3v is a great motor, but it has 3 pitfalls...
1. The cam phaser design is garbage! Its the worst, most wear prone phaser in existence... All other phasers, including fords latest phasers have delrin tension keys to keep the phaser silent and durable... Ours depend completely on oil for actuation, and durabilty... The metal on metal design is the curse these phasers have, and I'd be lying if I said ford didn't leave us in the lurch... Because they did...

2. The spark plugs, but the problem is very manageable and a 1 time offense that is usually only dealt with once.

3. Tensioners, also manageable with extra gasket protection and fords redesigned tensioners..

Other then these things, the motor is a great design...

Last edited by Especial86; 04-24-2013 at 04:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
gcwaterski (04-24-2013)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: thinkng of trading and no more f150s for me