Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Thermostat & Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermostat & Radiator

Hello, I have a 2006 F150 4.6 V8 2WD I am currently repairing. I received my two row radiator yesterday and I am ready to install. I have been reading here and there that it would be in my best interest to change the thermostat as well. Is this true? Also I have never had to fill a radiator; although, it's simple I don't want to screw something up with incorrect fluids or levels. Is it mandatory to use Motorcraft antifreeze/coolant or can I go with prediluted Preston?? What exactly do I pour into the radiator? If I'm not mistaken the coolant goes into the reservoir but I wanted to make sure I have everything I need before installation. Thanks in advance for any helpful info.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:16 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Most good brand antifreezes are compatible with the manufactures recommended fluid requirements, found in your owners manual. Don't have an owners manual? Go here to get a free PDF version:

https://owner.ford.com/tools/account...h-results.html

If you have good city water, you can mix pure antifreeze with it using a 50/50 mix. I use a large clean bucket, pour in the pour in the antifreeze, then fill the empty antifreeze with water, and pour that into the bucket. If your city water contains minerals, then consider using the pre-mix, or buying pure antifreeze and mixing it 50/50 with distilled water that you can buy at grocery stores.
If the radiator was replaced, I'd remove the upper house from the thermostat housing, and pour in the 50/50 mix into the hose that is still connected to the radiator top, to aid in a quicker fill of the empty radiator; then I'd start the engine, wait for the truck to reach temperature, and continue to top off at the overflow until the radiator is "burped" of any air pockets.
Yes, I would also change the thermostat while the system is open for good, safe measure.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 09-18-2015 at 05:21 AM.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:02 AM
Some guy

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,284 Posts

It also makes a good addition to a whiskey sour in a pinch.

(don't actually do that )
Old 09-18-2015, 07:49 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LaMartian
It also makes a good addition to a whiskey sour in a pinch.

(don't actually do that )
Wut, lol!
Old 09-19-2015, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Bucko
Most good brand antifreezes are compatible with the manufactures recommended fluid requirements, found in your owners manual. Don't have an owners manual? Go here to get a free PDF version:

https://owner.ford.com/tools/account...h-results.html

If you have good city water, you can mix pure antifreeze with it using a 50/50 mix. I use a large clean bucket, pour in the pour in the antifreeze, then fill the empty antifreeze with water, and pour that into the bucket. If your city water contains minerals, then consider using the pre-mix, or buying pure antifreeze and mixing it 50/50 with distilled water that you can buy at grocery stores.
If the radiator was replaced, I'd remove the upper house from the thermostat housing, and pour in the 50/50 mix into the hose that is still connected to the radiator top, to aid in a quicker fill of the empty radiator; then I'd start the engine, wait for the truck to reach temperature, and continue to top off at the overflow until the radiator is "burped" of any air pockets.
Yes, I would also change the thermostat while the system is open for good, safe measure.
Thank you for your response. I successfully installed the thermostat and I'm going to tackle the radiator today. I purchased Motorcraft Gold Antifreeze/Coolant Concentrated and a gallon of distilled water. Now if I just pour the mixture of the two inside the coolant reservoir, will I jus have to let the truck run longer or is it high recommendation that I pour some of the mixture in the top radiator hose? Also is it safe to start without my AC Condensor hooked up or my radiator support not in place? AC Condensor will be here next week along with radiator support. Thank u again for your time and response.
Old 09-19-2015, 02:12 PM

Received 665 Likes on 517 Posts

You also are going to need a special tool to remove the tranny lines from the radiator. It's about a $10 piece of plastic, but you have to have it.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by powerranger262
You also are going to need a special tool to remove the tranny lines from the radiator. It's about a $10 piece of plastic, but you have to have it.

Already purchased from eBay and utilized. I am past that step.

Quick Reply: Thermostat & Radiator