Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Taking a day off to clean my rig.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking a day off to clean my rig.

This Thursday and Friday I plan on bangin' in ( don't tell the boss ) to clean my new to me 06' F-150. Before I do though I have some questions.
1. The dealer I bought it from looks like they sprayed some sort of cleaner on the motor but let it dry before they washed it off. What can I use to clean my engine compartment safely?
2. My truck is black so you can see a ton of swirl marks. How and what can I use to get these off?
3. Has anyone had any experience with the Lucas Oil Slickmist spray on wax? If not what wax do you recommend?
Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:52 PM

Truthfully I had a BMW that had similar problems and I had to break down and take it to a professional detailer to get the swirl marks out.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:02 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

The only real way to get rid of swirl marks on black pain is to have it buffed by someone that knows what they're doing. Don't do this too often though as it removes a small amount of clearcoat.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:59 PM

Dedicated!!! Taking the day off to clean!
My brother is kindof a detail buff and he just detailed a '03 Xterra this past weekend. I got to see it before he started and thought it had no hope. Then I saw it when he got done. Incredible. He credits the success to a clay bar and Meguire's 3 stage wax. I'm serious, the paint looks nearly brand new... even got out a majority of the swirlmarks. It took him all day to do but definitely worth it.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there is no other way to get swirls out other than buffing. a lot of products will cover them up for a few days, but they will be back, and probably worse.

get yourself a porter cable 7424, or a 7424xp for a little more money, and get the job done right and without wasting 2 days by hand.

thats awesome though, i can appreciate taking off work to detail. hell that's what i do everyday!
Old 07-07-2010, 08:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have used it on older engines (my old 88 Lincoln Mark VII), but I am not sure how it will fare with today's plastic-laden engine bays. Just buy the spray-on foaming engine cleaner and make sure you rinse it off. That may take care of the residue the dealer left behind.

Quick Reply: Taking a day off to clean my rig.