Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Sudden Unintended Acceleration

Old 04-21-2014, 02:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Post Sudden Unintended Acceleration

I'm convinced that Sudden Unintended Acceleration has occurred six times during the ten years that I've owned my 2004 F150 4X4 Lariat. Anyone know about this?

I've read articles on the internet that say many Ford vehicles share a common defect...that they were equipped with electronic throttle control but did not have adequate safeguards to prevent incidents of sudden unintended acceleration and that Ford did not let consumers know about this.

If this is true, I think Ford should fix the vehicles without charging the buyers or buy back the vehicles from them.

Last edited by pattidrives; 04-22-2014 at 08:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
santa01 (09-11-2016)
Old 04-21-2014, 02:40 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by pattidrives
I'm convinced that Sudden Unintended Acceleration has occurred six times during the ten years that I've owned my 2004 F150 4X4 Lariat. Anyone know about this?

I've read many Ford vehicles share a common defect...that they were equipped with electronic throttle control but did not have safequards to prevent incidents of sudden unintended acceleration.

Ford did not let consumers know about this. I think Ford should fix the vehicles without charging the buyers or buy back the vehicles from them. I would not have purchased the truck had I known about this.
You might be on your own with this one. People take these trucks through hell and back and I've yet to hear a thing about this kind of issue with Ford Trucks. You looking to make a buck on Ford? Or do you simply have an issue that needs to be fixed?

I'd have had the issue fixed after the FIRST instance instead of riding it out and letting it happen again and again and again. Electronic throttle bodies have been around for a long time already. In fact, my Benzo has it and IT has 520 rwhp and 555 rwtq. It does everything my foot asks it to do. These trucks are the same although they don't have that kind of power. Find your gremlin before someone gets hurt. If it were a Toyota on the other hand......
Old 04-21-2014, 03:08 PM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts

i thought i had a similar issue... all of the sudden there were a few times I hit the brakes and i felt power increase as if i was pushing the gas and the brake... i had just bought new boots and it turned out to be just that. i did not feel like a smart man for the time it took me to realize what had happened
Old 04-21-2014, 04:00 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by uzikaduzi
i thought i had a similar issue... all of the sudden there were a few times I hit the brakes and i felt power increase as if i was pushing the gas and the brake... i had just bought new boots and it turned out to be just that. i did not feel like a smart man for the time it took me to realize what had happened

Pressing the brakes can cause a slight build up in vacuum that will cause the motor to surge.. A leak in the check valve at the brake booster can tend to cause this condition..

I've also never had heard of any issues with unintended acceleration with the 04-08 fly by wire systems.. I suppose a sticky throttle body that needs cleaning could cause such a condition.

Last edited by Especial86; 04-21-2014 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:57 PM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Especial86
Pressing the brakes can cause a slight build up in vacuum that will cause the motor to surge.. A leak in the check valve at the brake booster can tend to cause this condition..

I've also never had heard of any issues with unintended acceleration with the 04-08 fly by wire systems.. I suppose a sticky throttle body that needs cleaning could cause such a condition.

haha i appreciate you trying to help me out there... i was definitely pressing both the brake and the gas. my Ariat workboots are by far the most comfortable work boot i've ever had but they are wide
Old 04-21-2014, 05:07 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by uzikaduzi
haha i appreciate you trying to help me out there... i was definitely pressing both the brake and the gas. my Ariat workboots are by far the most comfortable work boot i've ever had but they are wide
Lol!!
I thought you meant coil boots... Lol!
Old 04-21-2014, 09:08 PM

Our truck is clean, cared for, always garaged and has 74000 miles on it. We bought it to pull a Sea Ray Sundeck 220. My husband drove a big company service work van for 30 years. He knows how to drive a truck, but he also experienced SUA while drivng our truck. At first I thought I had done something wrong but when it happened to him I became more suspicuous that there was something wrong with the truck.
I called the very unpleasant service manager at the dealership where we bought it and he told me that there wasn't a recall. I wish he had suggested I bring it in or that I would have thought to do it myself. Hindsight is 20/20. That dealership is long gone due to bad business practices with Ford Motor Co., it's employees and it's costumers.
Today, Ford Motor Co. paid to tow our truck to a local Ford service department even though the service manager there told me that if they can't replicate the problem and no codes show up, they won't be able to determine the problem. Ford motor company said they have nothing on record about this problem, so I searched on the internet and found many links about it...It is not good news and has caused me to worry more. Yes, I do want Ford to pay for the repairs...I know it is a long shot. But more than that, I want the service department to find the problem and fix it for a reasonable amount of money. It would be nice to drive a safe truck. If it ain't one thing it is another. Our truck has the crappy spark plugs I first read about in here. One catalytic converter was a big expense too. Sheesh.

Last edited by pattidrives; 04-22-2014 at 08:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
santa01 (09-11-2016)
Old 04-21-2014, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,113 Likes on 2,823 Posts

someone put a toyota badge on the front?
but I have NEVER heard of a sudden unintended acceleration case with an F150...think you may just be pissing in the wind on this one
Old 04-21-2014, 10:21 PM

djfllmn,
I am worried. Hopefully for nothing. However, two class action lawsuits are filed against Ford Motor Co. in W.V. Both sight similar suits pertaining to sudden unintended acceleration in some 2002 - 2010 Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles. The plaintiffs often describe it like their vehicle has a mind of it's own.

Last edited by pattidrives; 04-23-2014 at 04:06 AM. Reason: I removed some text that I only found in one internet article.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,113 Likes on 2,823 Posts

surrrreeeee....sounds like people just trying to get money from ford and link to said cases?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sudden Unintended Acceleration