Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

stuck rear brakes

Old 09-24-2016, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stuck rear brakes

I'm in a bit of a pickle. I'm working on fixing my sticking parking brake issue (06 F-150). The pivot piece needs to be take apart and relubed. No biggie. However, I cannot get the rear rotor off. The issue is NOT that the rotor is stuck to the hub. It moves off the hub just fine. The issue is that I cannot get the rotor away from the brake shoes and the adjuster mechanism is locked up.

I did knock the pivot piece (that attaches to the cable) toward the rear of the truck - that is not holding things together. I tried a three jaw puller and got it to move outward, but it will not release away from the brake shoes.

I could spray some PB Blaster on the adjuster and let it sit, but I have my doubts it will do the trick. I'm thinking of ways I could potentially knock the adjuster off from the access hole, but I'm not sure that will work. I have a kit, so I'm already planning to replace parts. I just don't want to make it worse.

Any thoughts/tips/tricks on getting this stupid rotor off?

Thanks much,

Eville Rich
2006 F-150
Old 09-25-2016, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I managed to get the adjuster wheel moving through sheer stubborness (and brake spoons). Took it all the way loose and I was able to get the hub rotating. That let me take my hammer and work the rotor loose from the parking brake pads.

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

For future reference and others:
The left side (driver's) brake is what I was working on. When turning the adjuster wheel from the back (through the access hole), turn the adjuster wheel down - so that the teeth closest to the hole are moving down. I expect it will be opposite for the right side (passenger).

Eville Rich
2006 F150

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: stuck rear brakes