Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Steering locks after leveling kit install

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering locks after leveling kit install

This one is confusing the hell out of me and haven't had a chance to get it on the lift yet as it started happening on my way home last night. 2" lecelinl kit was installed, new upper control arms, new struts, new inner and outer tie rod ends. Set the toe after all the install (camber and caster will be set later today when the lower arms and cam nuts arrive. So the issue is, about 25% steering to the right and the steerost locks. Locks to the point that I can not bring the wheel strait or go left, it definitely feels like it's hitting something going back to the left. I made a left hand turn and when centering the wheel back up same thing, locked to the right and put me in the ditch. If I continue to turn right and go to the steering stop, it will correct itself and steering fine. It doesn't happen every time. I've tried crawling under the truck while the steering is "locked" and can not see anything causing the issue. I've tried to do a search but usually only come up with needle beating issues on the newer trucks. Wondering if anyone has seen this before I go tearing the whole front end back out again.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:38 AM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

You might look at the linkage on your steering shaft causing problems, or you just might need an alignment.

My old 2wd locked after I put my leveling spacers on, but went away after an alignment.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nrivera04
You might look at the linkage on your steering shaft causing problems, or you just might need an alignment.

My old 2wd locked after I put my leveling spacers on, but went away after an alignment.
I'm wondering if it's not just lack of caster and too much SAI but like I said new lower arms and cam bolts get here today so I can dial in the caster and camber, hopefully that does the trick
Old 01-08-2019, 08:00 AM

Received 665 Likes on 517 Posts

I agree, it probably the u joint on the shaft. Look for a weird angle at that point. They are also famous for just seizing up. Spray some penetrating oil in it.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:25 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Originally Posted by Ctyler85
I'm wondering if it's not just lack of caster and too much SAI but like I said new lower arms and cam bolts get here today so I can dial in the caster and camber, hopefully that does the trick
You installed completely new LCA's ?

Quick Reply: Steering locks after leveling kit install