Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

STALLS AND DIES once its warms up need help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 05:47 PM
Guyman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default STALLS AND DIES once its warms up need help!

I need help i have a 2007 f150 4x4 v 8 32v i have replaced spark plugs, cop's, both cam shaft sensors, crank shaft sensor, both cam phaser solenoids, both cam phasers and a timing set and guides and battery starts up fine drive it for 20 minutes and it shakes and quits.
any ideas? with cam phaser solenoids unplugged truck works fine.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:21 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default I wonder what codes you get

Clear codes by lifting battery term and reconnect Vcts. What codes show up when she shuts down . Is she going into limp mode .
Did you have broken guides when timing done ? Did you clean out oil pan and oil pickup tube screen ,The screen is usually full of plastic and hard to clean . What kind of miles do you have .Did you change out oil pump . Are the new phasors oem .
This engine very sensitive to clean oil and pressure . Most of us change out oil pump to melling 340 or 360 . View you tube video jasper engine oil pump failure backing plate leaking . Change oil often use synthetic , get it out of there when she carbons up 3k to 4k . Use wally world motorcraft filters .
The vct housings should also be cleaned . You may have new VCT screens clogged because of dirty oil pan . Timing chains go bad and start to grind aluminum cover and the particles are in the oil pan . Clean everything .
The 5.4l 3v engine in f150's have single overhead cams and are 3x8 = 24 valve . The lincoln navigator has 5.4l 4v 4x8 = 32 valve .
I didn't think f150's got that nav engine . But I could be wrong .
We will have more input as you provide info . There's lots of help here .
Old 12-27-2016, 07:34 AM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Did you do the relearn process?
Old 12-27-2016, 07:06 PM
Guyman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Additional information on my 5.4 2007 f150 4x4

Cam phasers were not OEM they were aftermarket The timing guide all pieces were found so nothing should be in the oil pan cam phaser solenoids are aftermarket when I just pulled them out they did have real fine metal filings on them so I clean them up and put them back in hoping that would fix it
did do an oil pressure test first start up was 70 psi I don't full operating temperature in gear 27 psi would like to redo a driving hot test sometime
But it seems like there's enough oil pressure ford new specs are 15 psi in gear engine hot
You might ask what Metal filings would be getting on the solenoid is it coming from the engine or campaigns are because if it's coming from the engine 250,000 mile engine might be coming apart?

Codes
P0340
P0345
P0358Help
Old 12-28-2016, 05:31 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default If you had filing in vcts you have them in oil pan

This engine rely's on oil to operate more than old engines . Dorman phasors or after market are all trouble .Dirty oil is used to hydraulically to move cams so it will not tolerate much dirt . There is a good reason the oem phasors are expensive they are under stress .. .
I doubt if oil screen is clear in pan .
More than likely filings are off timing cover and there are lots of them .
PO358 suggests number 8 cop is not plugged in or defective circuit primary circuit from pcm . . . Thats driver side rear. could be plug or cop bad .
The rest of the codes say drivers side cam phasor circuit not working . The oil pressure from the vcts are not getting the desired rotation from drivers phasor . The vct housings could be clogged or the new phasor is defective .
I would clean this engine up real well .
video is ford test for number 8 primary fail .