Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Squealing/Screeching noise after starting

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 10:36 AM
First Time Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Squealing/Screeching noise after starting

I have a 2008 crew cab F150, 5.4 V8 with 4WD and approximately 124k miles. I bought it in 2012 with 73k miles on it. This morning when I started the truck, it made a loud squealing/screeching noise after starting and continued for about a minute then cut off. This is the first time I've heard the sound since owning the truck. The sound was happening when I was going less than 10 MPH backing out of a driveway and then stopped. My dad borrowed the truck about a week or 2 ago and said he heard the same sound after starting as well. To the best of my knowledge, this is only the second time it's happened. Could it just be from the cold weather? Many google searches resulted in cold weather being an issue but I live in MD so the weather isn't too cold yet. Can anyone help/have suggestions on things I can check when I get home from work?

Thanks!
Old 09-16-2015, 10:38 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SoMDf150
I have a 2008 crew cab F150, 5.4 V8 with 4WD and approximately 124k miles. I bought it in 2012 with 73k miles on it. This morning when I started the truck, it made a loud squealing/screeching noise after starting and continued for about a minute then cut off. This is the first time I've heard the sound since owning the truck. The sound was happening when I was going less than 10 MPH backing out of a driveway and then stopped. My dad borrowed the truck about a week or 2 ago and said he heard the same sound after starting as well. To the best of my knowledge, this is only the second time it's happened. Could it just be from the cold weather? Many google searches resulted in cold weather being an issue but I live in MD so the weather isn't too cold yet. Can anyone help/have suggestions on things I can check when I get home from work?

Thanks!
Inspect your belt. Might be time for a new one.

Kray
The following users liked this post:
SoMDf150 (09-16-2015)
Old 09-16-2015, 10:47 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Its your belt(s). Cold weather will def make it prone to sqeelching but that means your belt is old and stretched. It will get worse eventually.
SoMDf150 (09-16-2015)
Old 09-16-2015, 10:50 AM
First Time Owner

Originally Posted by HulluCorn
Inspect your belt. Might be time for a new one.

Kray
Thanks!

I will definitely check out the belt when I get home though it wasn't a typical belt going bad sound.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:52 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks!

I will definitely check out the belt when I get home though it wasn't a typical belt going bad sound.
If it's not the belt.. the only thing i can think of is the power steering pump. Check the fluid there. Gl
SoMDf150 (09-16-2015)
Old 09-16-2015, 10:53 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Humidity will also cause it. A rainy day for example.

Sometimes you can go quite a bit on a belt like that. Other times, it gets too loose or breaks.

Belt replacement is frighteningly easy. Google your year and model and you'll find videos that show it.

My son and I replaced the belt on his former '98 Explorer in 10 minutes.
SoMDf150 (09-16-2015)
Old 09-16-2015, 10:54 AM
First Time Owner

Originally Posted by TNathe
Its your belt(s). Cold weather will def make it prone to sqeelching but that means your belt is old and stretched. It will get worse eventually.
Thank you.

I have seen everything from serpentine belts, alternator going back, power steering to idler pulleys. Most of these answers also had the squealing at high speeds making it a different case than mine. The sound is ONLY shortly after starting up.

Another question, in the past when I've had a belt go bad, the sound would continue to be there while driving. This sound is there for 20-30 seconds then stops and doesn't come back. Could the sound just kind of be an early sign of belt damage?
Old 09-16-2015, 10:56 AM
First Time Owner

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
Humidity will also cause it. A rainy day for example.

Sometimes you can go quite a bit on a belt like that. Other times, it gets too loose or breaks.

Belt replacement is frighteningly easy. Google your year and model and you'll find videos that show it.

My son and I replaced the belt on his former '98 Explorer in 10 minutes.

Not worried about changing a belt, just thought it didn't sound like a belt going bad. Thank you.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:12 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Thank you.

I have seen everything from serpentine belts, alternator going back, power steering to idler pulleys. Most of these answers also had the squealing at high speeds making it a different case than mine. The sound is ONLY shortly after starting up.

Another question, in the past when I've had a belt go bad, the sound would continue to be there while driving. This sound is there for 20-30 seconds then stops and doesn't come back. Could the sound just kind of be an early sign of belt damage?
Yeah, even though it goes away its still the belt. Its goes away because the belt becomes warm and pliable allowing it not to slip on the pulley wheels. My wifes civic was goving here the embarassing "hey look at me" sqeelching and i just had to tighten up the alternator belt (was recently replaced so i knew it didnt get tightened down properly).
SoMDf150 (09-16-2015)
Old 09-16-2015, 11:43 AM
First Time Owner

Thanks everyone! Also, sorry if this was a dumb question.

Quick Reply: Squealing/Screeching noise after starting