Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Spooling up fan noise

Old 02-12-2017, 01:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Spooling up fan noise

I have a 2007 Lariat 5.4 triton. Yesterday I drove the truck and all of a sudden it sounded like the fan started spinning faster then the motor. When I let off the gas the fan slows down. I drove it again later on and same thing except now my temp gauge pinned to H and I got a dash message saying (reduced engine power). I immediately pulled over and shut it down. The next morning I went to check it out and thought it might be my fan clutch. Engine cold I can spin the fan and it seems to have the same sluggish drag as normal.
There's water on the street under the engine and I can see droplets still on the trans cooling lines so I know water escaped.
My question is, if the radiator had been leaking but the temp gauge read normal would the fan spin like this? Or was it the fan that made it overheat all of a sudden that drained the radiator. Both trips were about 15 mins long.
Now for the dumb question. Where the hell is the radiator cap to add water?
Thank you for any imput.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:24 PM
Texas A&M Aggie

Received 1,344 Likes on 976 Posts

Originally Posted by Wd-40
I have a 2007 Lariat 5.4 triton. Yesterday I drove the truck and all of a sudden it sounded like the fan started spinning faster then the motor. When I let off the gas the fan slows down. I drove it again later on and same thing except now my temp gauge pinned to H and I got a dash message saying (reduced engine power). I immediately pulled over and shut it down. The next morning I went to check it out and thought it might be my fan clutch. Engine cold I can spin the fan and it seems to have the same sluggish drag as normal.
There's water on the street under the engine and I can see droplets still on the trans cooling lines so I know water escaped.
My question is, if the radiator had been leaking but the temp gauge read normal would the fan spin like this? Or was it the fan that made it overheat all of a sudden that drained the radiator. Both trips were about 15 mins long.
Now for the dumb question. Where the hell is the radiator cap to add water?
Thank you for any imput.
Sounds like you have a radiator leak. The trans lines run through the radiator as well. As far as the radiator cap, there isn't one. You add coolant and water through the reservoir. That's the only spot.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the reply. Yep easy one to detect. Just poured a gallon of water in and watched it pour out the bottom just about as fast.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:32 PM
Texas A&M Aggie

Received 1,344 Likes on 976 Posts

Originally Posted by Wd-40
Thanks for the reply. Yep easy one to detect. Just poured a gallon of water in and watched it pour out the bottom just about as fast.
That'd be your problem. Haha. They're fairly easy to change out, the key is be careful what screws you use with the fan shroud, too long and you WILL poke into your radiator... Other thing to note, there are quick connect fittings for the transmission lines. They look like they unscrew, DO NOT do that. It WILL strip out and make you buy another radiator. Unfortunately, both of those are from experience. Lol

Search this Thread