Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Spark plugs and throttle bodies

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plugs and throttle bodies

Hey fellas, a buddy of mine just got a new throttle body on his 08 GMC Sierra and said he saw a pretty good difference in throttle response and torque. Anyone think its worth to get a new throttle body? My dad has a friend who can get me a great deal on a BBK Power-Plus throttle body but I wanted some input. As pertaining to spark plugs, this may be a dumb question, but around how many miles should one change the spark plugs?? Thanks
Old 12-04-2009, 05:04 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

My 02 recommends 100K for the plugs, check your owners manual. As for the throttle body, its been my experience that all chevy owners lie.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With your truck, you can simply clean the TB and get just as much result. Over time, it will gum-up and performance will decrease, to include rough idles, etc. Simply pull it out, clean it with some TB cleaner and a shop rag, for more gummy areas, use the handle of a toothbrush (that you dont use for your teeth anymore), and swipe it around. Be careful not to scratch anything or hurt the sensors. And Bill is right, Chevy owners are liars...Haha...
-Mick
Old 12-04-2009, 08:49 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

If you have moey to spend right now, put it away....you will use it on a required repair someday. Don't waste your money on something that "an't broke" now.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:04 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Originally Posted by F150MP
With your truck, you can simply clean the TB and get just as much result. Over time, it will gum-up and performance will decrease, to include rough idles, etc. Simply pull it out, clean it with some TB cleaner and a shop rag, for more gummy areas, use the handle of a toothbrush (that you dont use for your teeth anymore), and swipe it around. Be careful not to scratch anything or hurt the sensors. And Bill is right, Chevy owners are liars...Haha...
-Mick
He's asking about a trottle body spacer and its added performance...not cleaning he's trottle body.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:24 AM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by techrep
He's asking about a trottle body spacer and its added performance...not cleaning he's trottle body.
i thought he was talking about repalcing the entire TB with a new one, not just a spacer
Old 12-04-2009, 09:42 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Originally Posted by ford4wd08
i thought he was talking about repalcing the entire TB with a new one, not just a spacer

Your Right...my bad
Old 12-06-2009, 01:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input. I took out and cleaned all the crap out of my throttle body with TB cleaner. I can't find my damn owners manual for whatever reason but most guys have said to do it at like 100,000 miles, and i'm only at 77,000.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default throttle bodies & spark plugs

Don't WASTE your money on a Throttle Body it's not worth it for the money you spend. You will only get 5 maybe 8 hp. I talked to Dennis at TASCA Ford he does the dyno and the speed equipment there you will get more hp if you supercharge and replace the Throttle Body but stock don't Waste your money he says a tuner is you best bet for the money like SCT. and for the plug replacement my opion is 75,000 miles. The sparkplugs have a tendency of breaking in the head then there is a special tool to get out.So don't wait that long. There is a TB (techinal bulletin)that came out on the plug removal how to do it.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:53 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by F150sc
Don't WASTE your money on a Throttle Body it's not worth it for the money you spend. You will only get 5 maybe 8 hp. I talked to Dennis at TASCA Ford he does the dyno and the speed equipment there you will get more hp if you supercharge and replace the Throttle Body but stock don't Waste your money he says a tuner is you best bet for the money like SCT. and for the plug replacement my opion is 75,000 miles. The sparkplugs have a tendency of breaking in the head then there is a special tool to get out.So don't wait that long. There is a TB (techinal bulletin)that came out on the plug removal how to do it.
A throttle body is a required item. It's not a waste of money.

I assume you meant throttle body spacer.

Quick Reply: Spark plugs and throttle bodies