Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Spark plugs and coils

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 01:42 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Spark plugs and coils

Going to be changing spark plugs in my 5.4L 2007 Supercrew soon. Most likely will change the coils too as I have been getting what I think is a misfire. On the Rockauto site I see two different Motorcraft coils listed. I have read the description they give on them and it appears they are the same except for the part number and color of the boot. One has a black boot the other a brown boot.Any one here know what the differences in them are?
Old 09-29-2015, 02:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at your electrical connection to the coil. I have the 2004, 5.4, 3 valve F-150 and they do make different electrical connections for the coils on the 3 valve than on the 2 valve. To replace the back passenger plugs you will have to unscrew the computer box without removing any connections to reach the back two. Do blow out the spark plug holes, then spray some rust remover like Blue Streak WD-40 and work the plugs out very slowly. If they bind, screw back in a little bit, spray some more and back off again a little later. You don't want to break one off.
Thanks
A56nomad
Old 09-29-2015, 02:49 PM

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

Get straight, black boots brown is for the 2008 head design
Old 09-29-2015, 03:23 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by grss429
Get straight, black boots brown is for the 2008 head design
Thanks, that answers my question. I appreciate the help.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by sammyg
Thanks, that answers my question. I appreciate the help.

No problem get sp515 plugs, try amazon, if not use advance suto and retail me not coupon or ebay get them less then 6-8 a plug your doing smazing.

Read all the topics here it is easy, make sure you have the extration tool before doing it
Old 09-30-2015, 09:21 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gonna ask a question since, I too, will be tackling this job in a couple of days.

What torque spec do I need to tighten the plugs to? Is 25 ft-lbs enough for this? I've ready a few places where not having enough torque would cause the plugs actually to be blown out of the heads.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Hootsworth
Gonna ask a question since, I too, will be tackling this job in a couple of days.

What torque spec do I need to tighten the plugs to? Is 25 ft-lbs enough for this? I've ready a few places where not having enough torque would cause the plugs actually to be blown out of the heads.

25-27 ft-lbs is plenty, and all you need

And what ford recommends
Old 09-30-2015, 10:33 AM

Received 143 Likes on 109 Posts

Yes, 25 ft lbs. I think the plugs blowing out of the heads was for 97-03. I know they had problems with that.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Update: Performed the plug changed, zero breaks. Pretty amped. It felt like it needed more than 40 ft-lbs of torque to get these broken loose, despite letting them soak in carb cleaner, it still required a lot of elbow power.

Afterthought: That rear passenger plug (cylinder 8 I believe) was blood boiling frustrating. Double so since I accidentally shot a compressed air straw down there. I was fortunate enough that the straw was high enough for me to grab with mechanical fingers. Still, that one fat conduit of wire that runs right above the cylinder, whoever thought that was a good idea should've had to do spark plug changes until he thought it wasn't a good idea anymore.
Attached Thumbnails Spark plugs and coils-img_0999.jpg  
Old 10-03-2015, 12:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

those don't even look too terrible, nice work Hoots, how many miles were on them? When I had mine changed a couple weeks ago (@130k miles) they were very black on the tips and 4/8 broke, and of course it was the back 4. All said and done my mechanic charged $964 to change all 8 and 1 coil. I was too afraid to break one or more off and not be savy enough to get them out after breakage, but i had no idea it would be that much.

Quick Reply: Spark plugs and coils