Spark plugs! - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Spark plugs!

Old 01-14-2019, 08:49 AM

Default Spark plugs!

I know these engines are very sensitive to ignition conditions, but damn I didn't realize how sensitive!

Changed my spark plugs yesterday, with the latest and greatest Motorcraft plugs, didn't break a single one; the old plugs had 50-60k on them, truck currently has 152k. Truck ran fine, smooth, with decent power and no misfires before, such that no one would every notice anything, but I was amazed at the difference after changing them! The difference in power is night and day, even with the old plugs being within normal lifespan of plugs. The gap on the old ones was noticeably larger than the new ones, and they came out dry. A couple felt too stiff coming out, so a gentle soak with TB cleaner was used while I moved on to other ones. Also took the opportunity to thoroughly clean the boots, and apply new dielectric grease. Only on one other vehicle (my '84 GMC) have I ever come across a vehicle to respond so positively to new spark plugs.

Wife doesn't fully appreciate the task of plugs on a 5.4 3v (most whoever never done the job actually do, I know I still don't), but wanted to share the results here. Moving forward, they are definitely on the 50k mile replacement plan.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:52 AM
Luke

Thanked 1,158 Times in 855 Posts

Yeah...
The 5.4 is very picky
Old 01-14-2019, 10:40 AM
Mark

Thanked 1,790 Times in 1,613 Posts

With 154K miles... I would of replaced boots and springs.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by techrep View Post
With 154K miles... I would of replaced boots and springs.
Already did, a year ago. Replaced all 8 COPs, actually.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:55 AM
Mark

Originally Posted by dukedkt442 View Post
Already did, a year ago. Replaced all 8 COPs, actually.
Good deal... what brand COP's did you install ?
Old 01-14-2019, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by techrep View Post
Good deal... what brand COP's did you install ?
I went with Autozone's COPs... not as good as the Motorcrafts obviously, but with their lifetime warranty, I'll never need to buy another one. Won't even need to buy a boot or spring, just exchange the entire COP. 3 had already been replaced before I bought the truck, so it's not like a tossed away a full set of Motorcrafts. I don't like doing things piecemeal, so when something like 1 coil goes, they all get replaced. I didn't know the boots/springs were designed to be replaced separately, possibly all she needed. Oh well, live and learn. Slowly working my way through all the little things with this truck... it was maintained well, but maintained in the way you'd maintain an old school vehicle, one not as sensitive. Changed all of its new brake pads with different pads because I didn't like the feel, etc. Full timing job in December...
Old 01-17-2019, 11:09 AM
05 XL 4x4 Regular Cab

Hey OP I'm at 142k in my 2005 5.4L, I just replaced all COP's with the autozone's just like yourself, but my plugs were replaced around 40K miles ago, currently I have a very rough idle and misfire uphill and in the 40-55 mph range. Even with the life left on my plugs, should I replace them as well? Your situation seems pretty close to mine.
Thank you for any help or suggestions you have for me!
Old 01-17-2019, 11:12 AM
Mark

Originally Posted by AndrewMcM View Post
Hey OP I'm at 142k in my 2005 5.4L, I just replaced all COP's with the autozone's just like yourself, but my plugs were replaced around 40K miles ago, currently I have a very rough idle and misfire uphill and in the 40-55 mph range. Even with the life left on my plugs, should I replace them as well? Your situation seems pretty close to mine.
Thank you for any help or suggestions you have for me!
I would install a fresh set of SP546's.. any DTC's ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spark plugs!

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: