Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

So I Bought A Longblock....

Old 06-19-2012, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I Bought A Longblock....

Changed my plugs and coils, having major issues with the VCT system. Not going to spend precious time and money jacking with it when I can spend a bit more and get a remanufactured motor with a warranty.

Ordered a longblock from Engines Direct out of Phoenix, Arizona. I live in Northwest Arkansas, they're shipping my engine tomorrow morning out of Dallas. I'll have it Thursday morning. $2799, $450 core charge. Comes with everything the competitors long block has, plus valve covers, front timing cover, and new VCT solenoids. GREAT DEAL!

I've heard pulling the cab is easiest, but I'm a DIY'er and can't think of any way to rig up a system to pull the cab. I'm pulling the hood, radiator and condensor(if necessary), hoses, harness, and intake manifold off. One of my good friends is helping and has done several this way. I'll try my best to post pics and do a write up.

Anyone have any suggestions on things that I should buy when swapping over from the old motor? I'm getting a thermostat and water pump, new belt, PCV valves, Throttle Positioning sensor, already have new coils, possibly new motor mounts if my are thrashed, all fluids... Anyone think of anything else I should grab?

Thanks guys!

Old 06-19-2012, 10:45 PM

Received 149 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by UAHogsF150
Changed my plugs and coils, having major issues with the VCT system. Not going to spend precious time and money jacking with it when I can spend a bit more and get a remanufactured motor with a warranty.

Ordered a longblock from Engines Direct out of Phoenix, Arizona. I live in Northwest Arkansas, they're shipping my engine tomorrow morning out of Dallas. I'll have it Thursday morning. $2799, $450 core charge. Comes with everything the competitors long block has, plus valve covers, front timing cover, and new VCT solenoids. GREAT DEAL!

I've heard pulling the cab is easiest, but I'm a DIY'er and can't think of any way to rig up a system to pull the cab. I'm pulling the hood, radiator and condensor(if necessary), hoses, harness, and intake manifold off. One of my good friends is helping and has done several this way. I'll try my best to post pics and do a write up.

Anyone have any suggestions on things that I should buy when swapping over from the old motor? I'm getting a thermostat and water pump, new belt, PCV valves, Throttle Positioning sensor, already have new coils, possibly new motor mounts if my are thrashed, all fluids... Anyone think of anything else I should grab?

Thanks guys!
That looks great! I'm no help on a motor swap in these trucks as I've never done it but I was wondering can you buy "built up" 5.4 motors that will bolt up? Like one with more power but not supercharged or turbo'd?
Old 06-19-2012, 10:50 PM

Promar engines will build you a 5.4 with forged internals if you want. I'm planning on the edelbrock e-series supercharger and a long travel suspension kit. Watching Trucks on Spike build the "Raptor Killer" makes me want to go crazy on mine. Buying a new car soon so this will be a boat/trailer hauler & toy.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:54 PM

Received 149 Likes on 122 Posts

Promar engines will build you a 5.4 with forged internals if you want. I'm planning on the edelbrock e-series supercharger and a long travel suspension kit. Watching Trucks on Spike build the "Raptor Killer" makes me want to go crazy on mine. Buying a new car soon so this will be a boat/trailer hauler & toy.
I hear there is a lot better bang for your buck instead of the edelbrock! Maybe blown ford will see this and help you out with his vast knowledge on supercharged 5.4's! Do you happen to know what kind of numbers the promar engine makes? does it have performance cams , heads ect? Thanks
Old 06-19-2012, 11:13 PM

Yeah, the Edelbrock is very thorough and engineered for stock internals without worrying too much about damage. Not sure what Promars prices are, I'm sure there are other companies out there that build performance 5.4's, I just haven't researched them too much.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:56 AM

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Thanks guys!

That is one hell of deal! It makes me wonder how they did the rebuild. Is it fully balanced, blueprinted, etc? It seems way too good to be true. Either way, it is an awesome price and good luck with the install.

Originally Posted by speeddemon86
I hear there is a lot better bang for your buck instead of the edelbrock! Maybe blown ford will see this and help you out with his vast knowledge on supercharged 5.4's! Do you happen to know what kind of numbers the promar engine makes? does it have performance cams , heads ect? Thanks
I think the Edelbrock uses the Eaton TVS supercharger. If so, it's comparable to the Twin Screw Whipple. Personally I would go with Whipple as they have been used so many times on our 5.4 3V motors and are generally very reliable. Remember that heat is the enemy of superchargers and the twin screw superchargers run the coolest.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:44 PM

New engine came in! 2 day shipping was awesome!

Pulled the engine conventionally. Had to remove the radiator for clearance. Also removed the A/C compressor and power steering pump and sat them to the side so they didn't have to be drained or uncharged. Also pulled the intake manifold, battery & tray, ECU and bracket.

Only ran into a couple snags. The passenger side motor mount was stuck so we unbolted it from the block. 3 15mm bolts. Also, Ford has 2 tranny fluid lines running into the radiator. These lines have to be removed with a special tool, motorcraft 307-441. No one around my area had one and regular A/C tools wouldn't fit. We made our own tool with a pocket clip from a protractible magnet. Slid it in the fitting with pliars and a flat head screw driver, they came out like a champ!

Here's the old beast! Ran fine, had VCT issues and I wasn't going to replace it and have hidden oil issues screw me later.

Here's a shot with the motor out. We took each piece off of the old block that we needed to reuse and cleaned and immediately placed them on the new block. No need to lose anything or mix up parts! I installed a new water pump and thermostat and cleaned all of the corroded parts.

This is while we were dropping the new motor in. Didn't take long at all!

Should have it finished up and running tomorrow! Taking it in Monday for a tranny service. Had a really bad bucking/jerking issue, hopefully this fixes it. If not, it's all cheap from here. Haha
Old 06-23-2012, 12:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

aluminum looks so good all clean like that! killer progress!
Old 06-23-2012, 12:28 AM

Thanks man! Its going to look great. You really learn a lot about the anatomy of these motors when you yank one out and really look at it. I just hassled with replacing the plugs in the old motor, 7 out of 8 broke.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I bet! ford has been known for their "better ideas" however a 2 piece spark plug is just stupid lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So I Bought A Longblock....