Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Smoking and hesitation after repair

Old 03-02-2012, 10:09 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Smoking and hesitation after repair

I just got my truck back from the garage 2 weeks ago and went in for surgery. This week i finaly was able to drive it for a little. I ran her a few block to take my daughter to school and forgot to turn lights off, battery was dead the next morning. I got her all charged up and the next morning i started her and she almost died out twice before leveling off. I assumed it was the PCM relearning the fuel curve, again it was driven a few blocks and off. Now it was this morning I fired her up and a cloud of grey almost bluish smoke came out at first.
My question is could this be a by product of the work that was just done or me killing the battery or am I looking at a serious repair again.
Its an '04 5.4L lariat with 150k that just went in for a new tranny, cam phaser ordeal, and heads had to be shipped off to a machine shop to be resurfaced and a few oil leakes were said to have been repaired as well. All in all it was a 10 week event that left me pretty bitter. I have noticed the truck doesn't run as I remembered it seems to have a hesitation before going and I don't really have much confidence in it right now, the hesitation seems a little dangerous to me and I don't know if it just needs a break in period for the PCM to fix this or if I'm screwed again.

You guys have any thoughts?
Old 03-03-2012, 07:09 AM

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

the dying out could def be the where you ran the battery down I disconnected my battery the other day and when I restarted it ran rough and almost died.....

Blue smoke is generally caused by engine oil entering the cylinder area and being burned along with the fuel air mixture.

a few questions??

did it do it at all before, how long did it run the last cycle - long enough to get fully warmed up??
Old 03-03-2012, 07:35 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Honestly I'd have just bought a remanufactured engine for 3k before I spent very close to that as I'm sure you did on one with 150k miles. It sounds like whoever did it effed it up putting the heads back on and you have oil seals leaking as above post said. I'd take it right back to the garage and tell them to make it right.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:44 AM
08 F150 LIMITED

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Sounds like you need to recalibrate your gas peddle with the throttle body.
Put key in the ignition and turn to the on postion but don't start the truck
after all the bells and chimes stop making noise slowly press the gas peddle to the floor and then let up off the peddle(all the way), turn key back to the off postion.
Now do this two more times and start your truck and go for a ride and see if the hesitation is gone. You may also need to change out that battery as dead batteries always cause problems, they never really come back. good luck pal!
Old 03-03-2012, 12:30 PM

Thanks guys.

I have still been recovering from my surgery so no i haven't had it up to temp yet, i plan on having that done today along with a good drive to burn anything off that may have been left over from the repairs.
Yes i would have loved to put a reman engine in but i couldn't afford it at the time. My warranty only covered 50% and the dealer refused to pay anything for a engine except repairs. I dropped a couple grand buying the old girl and just couldn't come up with the cash.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:35 PM

Oh, and no it didn't smoke at all before and had little hesitation. It just had the diesel sound and ticking, which at first i was going to save up and have done but then the tranny blew so it all went in at same time.
One more question for you guys as well. If the heads were resurfaced does that mean the plugs would have been changed also?
Old 03-03-2012, 09:27 PM

Ok, i took her for a drive today. I started her up and no smoke so hopefully thats good. I brought her up to temp and shut her off and did the gas pedal thing 3 times.
I took her out and thats where the problem began. The engine doesn't seem to have alot of power and its not smooth, it was surging in power while acceleration. Once i got it to speed it was normal, but when i gave it a little gas to hold the speed up a few small hills it sounded horrible. It was like shifting from second to fifth in a standard.
The engine sounds great at idle, and there are no codes. Any ideas on this?
Old 03-03-2012, 11:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like leaking valve seals to me. Pull the plugs and do a compression check.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:17 AM

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Other things to check or clean - mass airflow sensor, throttle body, fpdm (fuel pump delivery module)
Old 03-04-2012, 08:20 AM

Ok, i check those. I've never done a compression test so i may need to run her back into the shop for that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Smoking and hesitation after repair