Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

smart people needed for motor swap question

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smart people needed for motor swap question

I bought a truck that is an 04 5.4, and the guy put in a low mile 80k 5.4 from an 09 into it. he gave up cause he cant get it to run right. before I part this thing out, I thought I should give it a try to fix it. I do know that he left the original ECM for 04 in it. My thought is to get the ECM for an 09, what other stuff should I get to try and make this work. Or is this a bad idea. I don't a project, but I would want to make sure I have an idea of process first. also if you suggest a link to read I can do that. I have looked through the site for info and I did not find much that helped.

any help would be great.

thank you
Old 12-04-2018, 09:41 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

WHICH '04?? Old or new body style? They made them both ways. Assuming it's not a cross-generational problem, the first step would be to get a code reader and pull codes.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:43 AM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

The original ECM should work fine IMO. When you say “can’t get it to run right,” what specifically is it doing? engines should be near identical with a few minor changes that should be irrelevant to the ECM.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:35 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default Well you eliminated a lot of us right off the bat

Guys put the exact same engine that they had on a reman and sometimes have running problems . You need codes and be circumspect on parts that were moved over .Plugs may not have been done right . They are different than a 04 and even if they are 09 plugs they may need changed 60k is the new thing from ford . . Throttle body and maf may need cleaning .Injectors ? Vacuum leaks ? Fuel delivery .Intake leaks /gaskets .Hard to know what was done .
Start with redoing ignition correctly/new plugs and boots .Clean injectors and make sure they aren't leaking Clean all connectors with contact cleaner ,replace all connectors not locking on .Review all hoses going to correct points .
You may want to get torque pro setup with android phone and cheap amazon bluetooth reader .
Old 12-04-2018, 11:38 AM

Received 1,208 Likes on 969 Posts

The original ECM should work just fine on the 09 engine
Old 12-04-2018, 11:41 AM
Monks

Received 248 Likes on 221 Posts

Please elaborate on exactly what is is doing. Not running right doesnt help us...
Old 12-04-2018, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 650NutKase
Please elaborate on exactly what is is doing. Not running right doesnt help us...
good point. It would barely run like it is running on 3 cyl. This would last for 20sec then die. I also have no use of the tranny at all.

I will try and get more info and video it.
thanks.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I bought my 05, it had a misfire code. Once we changed the plugs, and installed new exhaust manifolds, I cleared the code, and all codes went away except a (something)2800 vin mismatch code, which didn't matter for inspection. Truck ran fine. About a month later, I got a P196 code which is an oil temp sensor code (might be a P109 code). I knew there was an oil temp sensor in the pan, for,04, 05 and some 06, 5.4s. When I looked under the truck, I found the sensor, and wiring swinging in the breeze, and there was no hole in the pan for it to go into.(Didn't notice this earlier because there is a skid plate on an FX4). Upon further investigation, I found the sticker on the valve cover showing it was a 2008,5.4. ( which doesn't have the oil temp sensor)That is why I got the vin mismatch code. The oil temp code kept coming back until it got warm outside. After it was warm outside, I reset the code, and it stayed off until November. Which is OK with me, as my inspection is due in July, and the light was off. The motor icon is lit up now, and it has the P196 code, and the truck runs great.
In May of 2019 I'll reset it the oil temp code, and it will be fine till November.
To the best of my knowledge the ECM is the original
Hope this helps some.

Steve
Old 12-05-2018, 06:26 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

I would epoxy that oil temp to the pan .
Old 12-05-2018, 09:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried taking a black iron sleeve, and epoxied a 14mm ( I think) nut to it. I drilled and tapped the side of the sleeve, for a 1/4-20 thread. I then removed the paint from a spot on the oil pan, and epoxied the sleeve to it. Screwed in and connected the sensor. filled the sleeve with thin oil, figuring it would heat quicker with the heat from the pan than a higher viscosity. Cleared the code. Didn't last much longer than the sensor hanging in the air before the code came back.
Went to my U pull it, and pulled 2 sensors for 2 bucks apiece from 2-5.4s.Tried them both with the same results.
So in May, I'll reset the code, and it will stay off till around November. Just need it off in July when I have to get my truck inspected.
There is no difference in the way the truck runs, whether the code is reset, or the (motor icon) light is on.

Quick Reply: smart people needed for motor swap question