Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

small oil leak

Old 05-08-2010, 07:56 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default small oil leak

noticed my truck is starting to leave oil spots in my garage, just a couple drops here and there, they are starting to get a little bit more common so i got under there and saw it was coming from the front corner of the pan. how hard is it toget the oil pan off? im assuminf you can just get it off from the bottom right?
Old 05-09-2010, 03:02 AM

Answer this now!
Old 05-09-2010, 10:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i had an oil leak coming from the front of my oil pan and took it to ford (still under warranty) and they said it was the seal around the crankshaft but yours sounds like its from the oil pan...i imagine it should be as simple as taking the bolts off the pan and just breaking the seal....and dont forget to drain oil lol
Old 05-09-2010, 10:41 PM

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

Seem like you got one of the rare F-150s. The female version, they are rare, but not unheard of. The DO have a tendency to spot occasionally. It is totally natural, don't be alarmed. You can either live with it, or get it 'fixed'.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Taildragger
Seem like you got one of the rare F-150s. The female version, they are rare, but not unheard of. The DO have a tendency to spot occasionally. It is totally natural, don't be alarmed. You can either live with it, or get it 'fixed'.
haha good one. i was reading a few threads and it was saying that switching from conventional to synthetic will sometimes do this. it hasnt "spotted "at all today so it doesnt look to be getting any worse, checked my oil and everything is still up. thank you both for the useful posts.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:41 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

The leak could be higher up on the engine and working it's way down. Also could be a loose oil pan bolt, but be careful they are not supposed to be very tight to begin with. At least this is my experience with older vehicles new ones may be different. I would tighten them with a torque wrench so you can get them to the proper torque rating.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check where yer oil filter mounting secures to the block; this is a notorious spot for a leak and it will run down and appear to be coming from the front area of the pan. Worth a look.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:15 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by madeSICC
haha good one. i was reading a few threads and it was saying that switching from conventional to synthetic will sometimes do this. it hasnt "spotted "at all today so it doesnt look to be getting any worse, checked my oil and everything is still up. thank you both for the useful posts.
This is a myth that holds no merit. It is totally untrue that switching from non synthetic to synthetic or vise versa will cause oil leaks. I switch often (depending on advertised "deals" from oil changing garages) between semi and full synthetic; I have 75K on my engine and do not have any leaks.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by desi
Check where yer oil filter mounting secures to the block; this is a notorious spot for a leak and it will run down and appear to be coming from the front area of the pan. Worth a look.
thanks i will get under tonight with a flashlight and really find the reason for this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: small oil leak