Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Shudder/vibration at speed

Old 10-22-2014, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shudder/vibration at speed

To begin, yes I have used search and have found too many results about shuddering but none sound quite like my situation. Everyone's seems to happen at low speeds or during turns or from a stop. Mine occurs at cruising speeds.

Recently noticed that at speed, when the truck (2004 F150 5.4 4x4) downshifts from 4th into 3rd to maintain speed (say going uphill), and back into 4th it'll do a shudder that feels almost like I'm hitting a rumble strip. At low speeds it doesn't exist so I'm not sure if it's the rear end clutch packs but I don't want to rule that out just yet. Everything seems to work just fine the rest of the time... Any ideas?
Old 10-22-2014, 02:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Check the usual suspects like bad u joints, drive shaft out of balance etc. Fyi the u joints are staked into the driveshaft and they require a special tool like a hole saw to remove them. I had mine removed and heavy duty ones installed with grease nipples. A lot cheaper than fords answer which is replacement of the entire driveshaft.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:01 PM

Have you noticed the problem when you start stepping on the gas, say around 45mph? I thought my transmission was hunting for the correct gear, but it turned out to be a missfire... I recently replaced the sparkplugs and it is gone. It definitely feels like the transmission is shuddering when it does it.

-Greg

Last edited by BLUENGRAY05FX4; 10-22-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:03 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

It could be a ton of things. I had the same issue and have done quite a bit of research. Two main reasons come to mind:

Inspect/test your COPs (coil on plugs)

Try Lubeguard Dr. Transmission Shudder Fix
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0444&ppt=C0207
I tried it, and it actually solved my issue. Your results may be different.

Possibly also your spark plugs.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:47 PM

Thanks guys, I'll definitely be checking that stuff out this weekend. Thankfully it's not my dd haha and fingers crossed it's nothing major

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shudder/vibration at speed