Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Shudder at during low speed acceleration and at highway speeds.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 01:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Shudder at during low speed acceleration and at highway speeds.

Hello everybody,
I am experiencing a light shudder when accelerating from a stop and while cruising in the 50-60 MPH range. Also sometimes I have a noise that sounds like a tin can full of marbles when you shake it after letting off the gas on the highway and then go to re accelerate. The marble sound is kinda a dull sound and it does not always do it. The engine runs strong and smooth otherwise and I am a little baffled because it does not always shudder and it does not always make the marble sound. Any ideas to point me in the right direction?
Old 06-02-2013, 02:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look into changing the coils/plugs, there's a sticky at the top of the forum on this issue. Should have all the info you need. On a side note, my truck has the same problem and I'm almost 100% that I just need to to change the plugs.

If not it could also be the TPS, or even the little sensor on top of the spare wheel. I also heard the torque converter causing similar issues.

Good luck
Old 06-02-2013, 02:19 PM

I've ordered the plugs, new Accel COPs, and boots. Waiting for them to arrive. I am thinking my can full of marbles sound may be a torque converter issue. I have an Extended warranty but its a MBI policy so I suppose I have to wait until there is a failure. I hope the plugs fixes my problems. It's a very light shudder and more of an annoyance than anything else. Thanks for the luck.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:44 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by Irishjew
I've ordered the plugs, new Accel COPs, and boots. Waiting for them to arrive. I am thinking my can full of marbles sound may be a torque converter issue. I have an Extended warranty but its a MBI policy so I suppose I have to wait until there is a failure. I hope the plugs fixes my problems. It's a very light shudder and more of an annoyance than anything else. Thanks for the luck.
Could be a catalytic converter that you hear rattling... Have someone gas the motor IN PARK while you lay under the truck and listen... Misfires, can ruin and melt down cats, which will sound like BB's rattling around in a can. A stopped up or melted cat will cause a shudder and lack of power, sometimes erratically.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Especial86
Could be a catalytic converter that you hear rattling... Have someone gas the motor IN PARK while you lay under the truck and listen... Misfires, can ruin and melt down cats, which will sound like BB's rattling around in a can. A stopped up or melted cat will cause a shudder and lack of power, sometimes erratically.
Great! I live in California and the stupid laws here make it damn near impossible to find a good priced replacement.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:34 PM

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Spark plugs I'd definitely to blame for the shudder at speed, I think that same thread is started on here every week :-) the marbles in a can sound is your timing chain making noise when you let off the gas due to a worn or leaky tensioner. It will only happen when truck is nice and warmed up. I don't know how bad it is to continue with that noise considering the truck runs fine otherwise. I'm in the same boat on that.

If you are gonna have the tensioner replaced might as well do phasers and chains, along with water pump while it's torn down. It's like a 12 hour job, and the parts will run you 600 bucks for Ford oem. Everythingelse sseems to fail, but is cheaper so I guess you get what you pay for. A independent shop should be able to do the work for 5-600 bucks if you bring them the parts.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:47 PM

The plugs are changed and my shudder has been eliminated. She runs as smooth as silk now. I narrowed down the rattle to the converter on the passenger side so I actually cleaned it with a technique I found on you-tube using a bucket of warm water and laundry detergent. The rattle has not reappeared and the truck is running awesome.

Quick Reply: Shudder at during low speed acceleration and at highway speeds.