Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Shifter Lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 05:34 PM
Little Whitey

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Shifter Lights

Not sure if the P, R, N, D, 1, 2 spots on the gear shifter for a floor shifter are supposed to light up. It is a pain in the butt at night trying to shift out of park and into drive without turning on the dome light. If they are supposed to light up then does anyone have a link on how to remove the whole console to replace the bulbs.

Thanks.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:14 PM
Jan 2008 TOTM & Gdreject

Yes they are supposed to light up, lol. To get to the bulb open the center console lid. Grab by the cupholder and pull up HARD. It will snap the plastic around the shifter and stuff up. Then if my memory serves me correct, you should have access to the bulb. It has a little cable coming out of the back of it. It is inline with the P, N, R, D, 1, 2.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ooo this would be cool to replace the regular bulb with a red one to make the gears light up in red!.. if the plastic cutouts or letters for the gears arent translucent green tint
Old 07-18-2010, 07:56 PM
Jan 2008 TOTM & Gdreject

Originally Posted by Zero_Fx2
ooo this would be cool to replace the regular bulb with a red one to make the gears light up in red!.. if the plastic cutouts or letters for the gears arent translucent green tint
They are tinted green, lol.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:09 AM
Little Whitey

Thanks, I asked the dealer where I bought it from and they were clueless. But it didnt make sense to me as to why they wouldnt light up. So all I have to do is pull up hard on the cup holder to get that whole section up? I read somewhere that there were all sorts of screws to un do?
Old 07-19-2010, 01:16 AM
Jan 2008 TOTM & Gdreject

Nope, just pull up hard. It will pop right out.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:15 PM

If you open the center console, and stick a flathead screwdriver in where it latches, it make it a little easier to pull up the plastic around the shifter. Just pull hard, it won't break. once removed there are two clips on each side of the chrome shifter piece. Pry them out and lift on the piece and you will see where the bulb is located. Twist it out and replace. I believe the size is a 194 wedge.
superbrightleds.com has a good selection of LED's to put in there. Make sure yo uget a small one as te opening isn't real big. Replace the bulb and snap everything back in place.
There is green tint on the clear plastic piece that disperses the light, but if you peel that off, you should be able to put any color bulb in there.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:17 AM
Little Whitey

Thanks. I just bought a bulb from Ford for like 2 bucks or something like that.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:28 PM

Default Console Light

Your Information was spot on. Thanks!

If you open the center console, and stick a flathead screwdriver in where it latches, it make it a little easier to pull up the plastic around the shifter. Just pull hard, it won't break. once removed there are two clips on each side of the chrome shifter piece. Pry them out and lift on the piece and you will see where the bulb is located. Twist it out and replace. I believe the size is a 194 wedge.
superbrightleds.com has a good selection of LED's to put in there. Make sure yo uget a small one as te opening isn't real big. Replace the bulb and snap everything back in place.
There is green tint on the clear plastic piece that disperses the light, but if you peel that off, you should be able to put any color bulb in there.[/quote]
Old 02-08-2011, 04:16 PM

No problem! Glad to help. I put an LED in mine that was about 2 bucks also, so at least Ford isn't charging a rediculous amount for a tiny little bulb!

Quick Reply: Shifter Lights