Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Several thrown codes, primary concern: Emissions

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Several thrown codes, primary concern: Emissions

Upon returning home from military duty (3 months), I was informed that I need to register my truck here in AZ, but first need an emissions test. After brief thought, realized I probably won't be able to get it tested because my CEL is on.

I ran the codes this morning to find that there were several. Now I am concerned that there could be a trickle down effect of a major problem. Here are the codes:

P0011 & P0021 (possible camshaft timing issue)
P0430 (catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 2)
P1000 (I understand this would go away with required drive cycle)
and B1352 (faulty ignition coil)

Truck is an 08 SCAB 5.4 Triton with 160k

I'm no service tech by any means, but I am now very intimate with this truck as I have gone where few I know have with it. Last year I had an engine knock and ended up opening the front end to do a new timing job. I installed 'livernois' phaser locks. This is where our intimacy begins. Everything after was normal and to my surprise, it seemed I fixed the problem with some patience, f150forum.com, and many trips to parts/tool store.

Now I feel I may have other problems in the same area as well as possible related issues downstream. My understanding is that the faulty ignition coil is not related. correct me if I'm wrong.

My first few questions I have after I have now been under my truck:

1. with the P0430 code, should I been there, replacing both upstream 02 sensors first before going in with more money?

2. should I simply check the voltage of all four sensors before doing anything?

3. Should I address the 0011 and 0021 codes first being that these could be culprits downstream?

4. am I in over my head and should I take it into dealerships for a more professional diagnosis?

I usually avoid long posts, however I feel the background is pertinent in this case.
Funny how a simple need to get emissions test leads to all this at a time when I would just like to relax with family. Thanks for any help. - Sean
Old 08-16-2015, 04:24 PM

I also noticed after a few days of driving that truck is a little sluggish in the low end.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:15 PM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

Did you install the tune with the lockout kit? If not, that could give you the p0011 and p0021 codes. If you did, there could be an issue with the camshaft position sensors, or the timing chains both jumped one or more teeth.
For the cat code, you can try to replace the O2's. You can have an exhaust shop test the cat. If it needs to be replaced, you would need new O2's anyway so replacing them now wouldn't be wasting money.
I'm not sure what's with the B1352 code. I looked it up, and for it is for the key buzzer circuit. Check the fuse and the wiring.
The following users liked this post:
smhopper140 (08-16-2015)
Old 08-16-2015, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by lewissa81
Did you install the tune with the lockout kit? If not, that could give you the p0011 and p0021 codes. If you did, there could be an issue with the camshaft position sensors, or the timing chains both jumped one or more teeth.
For the cat code, you can try to replace the O2's. You can have an exhaust shop test the cat. If it needs to be replaced, you would need new O2's anyway so replacing them now wouldn't be wasting money.
I'm not sure what's with the B1352 code. I looked it up, and for it is for the key buzzer circuit. Check the fuse and the wiring.
I appreciate the response lewissa81, Yes I did the tune with a complete kit. I purchased from livernois because I was told the cam phaser issue is a common problem with these engines. The kit was a 500 dollar deal mainly because of the specific tune it needs post install.

Is it worth while to replace both camshaft timing sensors? Can I just unplug them and see if a code shows itself then? Timing components sound normal. If the chain was loose enough to jump a tooth or two, wouldn't I hear that? especially on start up?

as far as the 02 sensors, the way i understand, i need to check both downstream sensors. The codes are showing the two downstream sensors right? because if it were the two upstream 02 sensors, I wouldn't be looking at the Catalytic converters?

If I'm looking at replacing a catalytic converter, I would see this as a chance to install a better exhaust system. in regard to emissions here in AZ, is a standard cat back system going to adhere to the standards? Do you or anybody recommend a system that I can install myself without welding? I don't have that trick in my tool belt. I don't want to spend more than 5-600 bucks on an exhaust. Do I lose or gain anything by keeping the 2-1 or is a true dual all-around better? I'm assuming a 2-1 is going to save me money. Im looking for a slightly aggressive sound with added performance.

Again I appreciate the response. - Sean
Old 08-16-2015, 11:50 PM

I stand corrected. After further research, it doesn't look like I can replace the CATs and install new cat-back system for under $500. I didn't realize the catalytic converters were that much, at least the direct fit since I have no welding experience.

Anybody have an opinion on most bang for the buck CATs? when it comes to CATs, I wouldn't think price necessarily means anything. Is it worth it for me to just get universal fit CATs, have them installed at a shop and then purchase a bolt on performance cat-back to install myself. I don't know what the cost is to have new CATs installed. I guess I'll just take it into the shop and get a quote.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:23 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Look into Magna Flow ...high flow cats.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:55 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

P0430 (catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 2) Should go away if/when the bad ignition coil B1352 is replaced. A cylinder that is not firing is dumping raw fuel into the catalytic converter, and causing this code.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:37 AM
Some guy

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,280 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucko
P0430 (catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 2) Should go away if/when the bad ignition coil B1352 is replaced. A cylinder that is not firing is dumping raw fuel into the catalytic converter, and causing this code.
Consider replacing your upstream O2 sensor after you get that cylinder firing again depending on how long it's been going on
Old 08-17-2015, 05:56 PM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

I'm confused with this B1352 code. The only information I can find for it, is for the ignition key circuit, not a coil. I don't see how it's connected to a faulty coil.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by lewissa81
I'm confused with this B1352 code. The only information I can find for it, is for the ignition key circuit, not a coil. I don't see how it's connected to a faulty coil.
Yes, I was confused too. I wasn't paying attention. The B1352 code is for a faulty buzzer/chime. Disregard . My orginal post claimed this as a ignition coil issue. Not the right code. I think that was a P0352 code I researched

Quick Reply: Several thrown codes, primary concern: Emissions