Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Seriously another Dorman cam phaser

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 08:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Seriously another Dorman cam phaser

Short question: Seems I have gone through another Dorman phaser, are they really that junky?

Long story:
- First I did all new timing components (chains, guides, tensioners, phasers and vct), had Dorman phasers installed without doing research.
- Everything was good for awhile then the oil pump got gunked up with debry and starting it a couple times killed the phasers.
- Replaced oil pump inspected the entire valve train I could see and the engine looked good.
- Replaced phasers again, rolling the dice on another set of Dormans since they were still under warranty (free replacement)
- Now I was towing a 22' toy hauler back from OK and when I stopped at a gas station the truck was missing and rattling. Turned it off, let it sit, then started back up just fine. Acted the same way a couple more times when stopping after a long haul (for sure acted like a phaser vein broke or something). Now I have been driving it for another week and it drives fine just has the phaser rattle at start up everything now and then.

Once again, is it possible that Dormans and just that crappy? Not sure if I should run lockouts or just replace driver side with OEM (side which seems to be the issue).
Old 09-06-2017, 08:29 PM

Received 3,042 Likes on 1,680 Posts

Yes, that's likely your problem. I wouldn't cheap out on something like that. Why not go oem in the first place?
Old 09-07-2017, 07:54 AM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

If you read on this forum you will see Dorman phasers are NO good. They have a very high rate of failure. It is repeatedly stated on this and many forums that you should use ONLY OEM parts for phasers, tensioners, and VCT solenoids. Those are 3 very important parts in the timing system and OEM is truly the best replacement. Yes the originals had their problems but the solenoids and phasers have both been updated and really are the best option. I did my timing about 9 months and 5K miles ago, I have not had any problems yet. I change the oil every 4K for now and will extend out to 5k after 1 years worth of oil changes. I only use Motorcraft filters and I personally like Mobil1 full syn but most full sy or syn blend oils will work good.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:27 AM

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Dorman is junk 95% of the time. Sorry to say you are seeing the results of modern quality.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:31 AM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

They might get it right eventually but from what we've been told in the retail parts industry is that Dorman reverse engineered that part. They still don't have it right though as they're seeing failures in as little as 5K.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:46 AM

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

dorman has some good stuff like window regulators and stuff like that but I would never trust Dorman for anything that went inside my engine and that is as critical as timing components. next time you do it bite the bullet buy the entire oem setup with steel adjusters. If oil pump is getting gunked up drop pan and clean the whole pan.