Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Rough idle and stalling

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough idle and stalling

Howdy everyone,
I recently bought a project 2004 F150 XLT 4x4 sight unseen from an auction site. The motor is a 5.4L 3 valve with 165k on it. after dealing with shipping and all that nonsense from the auction house to my home in Texas. I finally got it the other day and started it up for the first time and noticed at an idle it vibrates really badly (door panels shake real bad on the passenger side). After getting fresh gas in it, I drove it around town and noticed at red lights it was chugging really hard (similar to a diesel), and still shaking like it was about to stall out. On the highway it was just not responsive whatsoever, took forever to get it up to 60mph even after mashing my foot through the floor with the rpm's not even hitting 4000. When I limped it back home (5 miles), it stalled on me as soon as I slowed to turn into the drive way This is my first gasser Ford (mainly a 7.3 and 6.0 guy), but based on what I have seen it could be a vacuum line off the rear of the crank case, loose/bad sparkplugs and coils, or it has gotten off time. Just wanted to see what other things I can check besides the cam phasers that may be causing the issue. I am a senior in college so not trying to spend thousands at the dealer.