Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Rotors/Brake Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 09:53 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Rotors/Brake Recommendations

I've been searching all around, and haven't been able to narrow down what I want. Looking for suggestions for rotors/brakes for my 07 SCREW 4WD. looking for an upgrade over stock and trying to stay under $400. After reading a bunch of info, I'm still on the fence whether I should get regular or slotted/drilled or any combination. Any Advice is welcome and greatly appreciated.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:12 PM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

Is your truck stock? The factory brakes are more than sufficient for stopping the vehicle and decent tow loads IMO. I'd just recommended a ceramic pad to cut down the dust over the semi-metallic (OEM) pad.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:45 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It's stock ish. 33's and quick lift struts. Some other things. I drive in the mountains quite a bit and need new rotors soon anyways so was just thinking about upgrading.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:45 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a 2006 with about 70k miles, essentially stock which I just purchased rear rotors/pads for. I actually haven't installed them yet, so I can't comment on them, but can comment/share some info which may or may not help you. You can confirm the info by researching the web (or at least we'll be told the same lies!)

As far as braking power goes, semi-metallics are supposedly better than ceramic, but the trade-off is the (vastly) greater amount of brake dust given off by the semi-metallics. I went with semi-metallics as braking performance is more important to me than keeping my wheels clean.

I was looking at going with the Raybestos standard grade rotors, which (my understanding is) is supplied by the same manufacturer that also supplies AC Delco and NAPA auto (at least for that specific grade/model - 6 lug F-150 rotor). In other words, it's the same part made from the same company (which happens to be in China) but sold/marketed by three different companies. I ended up purchasing from NAPA as they were the least expensive.

This info may or may not be relevant to you,but at least you can make a somewhat informed decision. Good luck.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:01 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Driving up and down mountains would warrant slotted/drilled rotors. They will help dissipate the heat and gasses that can build up when braking.
Many folks buy them for the "cool" factor for daily street type usage. Your case though is different.

An good upgrade over stock (the stock motorcraft are good though) would be EBC. They have grades to choose from:

http://ebcbrakes.com/products/brake-pads/

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 07-24-2015 at 05:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Rotors/Brake Recommendations