Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Review after Rough Country 2.5" front 1" rear kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 01:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Review after Rough Country 2.5" front 1" rear kit

Edit: Pictures:
before RC kit with wheels on...

Before RC kit hooked up to my boat:

will grab an after photo now...

I had quite a bit done to the truck recently:

black and gray two tone katzskins heated leather installed
20s with 33" toyo open country mt installed
tinted fronts and tinted tail lights
plasti dipped badges
and rough country 2.5" front spacer and 1" rear blocks with rc nitro shocks installed.

Immediately after the kit was installed I could tell a difference in the way it drove. It feels "looser" in a way...I have had leveling kits on all the chevys i've driven and maybe it was different because they were brand new and this has almost 70k on it but I don't know...

When driving down concrete roads (lots in new subdivision areas by me) the truck literally bounces from front to back and theres nothing I can do to change it...it is bad enough that my neck moves like I'm acting like i'm riding a horse (best comparison I could think of). Some roads are fine, but some are awful...and the truck didn't do this before the kit. I'm guessing it has something to do with the rear shocks? It feels like the truck could lose control fairly easily.

Another major concern is driving down country roads hitting small bumps it feels like I'm going to lose the rear end...I'm not even talking about 60mph...Even at like 30mph if you hit a bump it feels like the rear is going to slide out to either side...Are the shocks the culprit? Or are the new rear shocks too stiff for the front shocks? I'm nervous driving down the road at higher speeds.

I will post pictures tomorrow...

ps- I am having similar issues to what I've found searching on here...it feels like a tranny slip or miss in the engine going up hills. It is very random and most times around 25-35mph. It has done it once under load going up a hill with my boat hooked up and a couple times without it hooked up. To me it feels like a tranny is slipping but I don't know. I would be curious if anyone has experienced the same? I find it hard to believe it would be a misfire if I haven't seen a check engine light and the truck otherwise runs smooth??

Thanks for the input!

Last edited by Brian66D; 07-18-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

a leveling kit is gonna stiffin up the ride quite a bit that's just how it is you may could use some new shocks to. and you may have a coil pack goin out or need some new plugs mine started missing a little bit changed a coil pack on a cylinder that was missfiring so I changed the plugs that solved the problem. I have about 64k on mine.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:37 AM
Hold my beer, watch this!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that you lookin for answers and all but I gotta ask....I've been playing around with the katzkin idea for a while now because I really want black leather seats. Did you put them on yourself? How well are they made? Thanks in advance
Old 07-18-2012, 05:05 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Shocks....
Old 07-18-2012, 05:13 AM
"Lifted"

Received 223 Likes on 200 Posts

Stiffer ride will give the the bounce when hitting bumps.. I've had it on all vehicles where the suspension was modified..
Old 07-18-2012, 10:31 AM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Check and retighten the u bolts, they may be loose. Any time you mess with the u bolts, you should always give them a good check up after 100 miles or so...

The shocks as stated above maybe over extended and or need of replacement....

The "tranny" issue sounds like a COP (coil on plug) issue... Get the codes checked and see what turns up. Coil pack issues tend to feel like a transmission issue with bucking, jerking, and loss of power under certain RPM ranges... If you hit the gas a little harder and it downshifts fine then it most likely a COP or a bad spark plug.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Black05lariat
a leveling kit is gonna stiffin up the ride quite a bit that's just how it is you may could use some new shocks to. and you may have a coil pack goin out or need some new plugs mine started missing a little bit changed a coil pack on a cylinder that was missfiring so I changed the plugs that solved the problem. I have about 64k on mine.
I know it is, I had them on my chevy trucks: 2007 tahoe, 2008 tahoe, 2011 silverado, and 2012 silverado...I thought maybe it had to do with age of the front shocks...but my "shock test" aka bounce the front end and see how long it takes to pass seems to be fine...

Do the coil packs in these trucks fail often? I used to have to carry extra coil packs in my old E46 bmws and the B6 Audi A4 I had. Literally had to change them on the side of the highway sometimes....I haven't seen a CEL in the truck yet so I didn't think it had to do with a misfire but who knows...69k on mine
Old 07-18-2012, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by War_Eagle89
I know that you lookin for answers and all but I gotta ask....I've been playing around with the katzkin idea for a while now because I really want black leather seats. Did you put them on yourself? How well are they made? Thanks in advance
I've had them in 2 vehicles now. I'm definitely not as pleased with this set as I was with the set in my silverado that looked like this:

but heres what they look like:

The quality is there...no doubt. I wouldn't get all black, get some kind of contrast. I used the swatches my local shop had to match the door panels. The black fades quicker than other colors. The black on my silvy was starting to show wear when the truck had rolled over 5k miles. My advice: Get something with a lighter color where your butt goes. I'm shy of 200lbs and I don't want the wear to show through on these that fast thats for sure.
The backseat is a little loose up at the top but I'm hoping the leather will tighten up a bit in the sun, if not I will modify it somehow. I paid a local shop to do it this time around and the silvy I had shipped to prestige in saint louis, mo. I run the website for a very large dealer in IL and we do business with them frequently so they gave me a deal but I know they are fairly straightforward to install.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Change out the new rear shocks if they are the nitro 9000 that they give you with the kit then they are garbage. My truck did the same thing with the same kit. Got some bilsteins and it rode like a whole new truck
Old 07-18-2012, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by techrep
Shocks....
that was my first thought....

Originally Posted by KingRanch4Life
Stiffer ride will give the the bounce when hitting bumps.. I've had it on all vehicles where the suspension was modified..
I have had plenty of vehicles with modified suspension, both up and down...this isn't even hitting bumps...I'm talking about the truck bouncing when driving down concrete roads...literally the only thing I'm hitting bump wise is the difference in level on each side of the joint in the road...which shouldn't really be anything considering the joints are cut after the concrete is cured.

Originally Posted by Especial86
Check and retighten the u bolts, they may be loose. Any time you mess with the u bolts, you should always give them a good check up after 100 miles or so...

The shocks as stated above maybe over extended and or need of replacement....

The "tranny" issue sounds like a COP (coil on plug) issue... Get the codes checked and see what turns up. Coil pack issues tend to feel like a transmission issue with bucking, jerking, and loss of power under certain RPM ranges... If you hit the gas a little harder and it downshifts fine then it most likely a COP or a bad spark plug.
I am going to have a tech check all the bolts he uninstalled and re-installed tomorrow...I was guessing shocks, but the shock "test" I've always gone by is if the shock doesn't collapse on itself then it is okay...and mine were ok by that standard when he removed them to install the kit...

I doubt I have any stored codes if I haven't seen a CEL...I will also scan it tomorrow.

If I don't have any codes is it a good idea to change the plugs? plugs and coilpacks? or anything else with it?

Quick Reply: Review after Rough Country 2.5" front 1" rear kit