Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Reverse sensors driving me crazy!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse sensors driving me crazy!!!

I have a 2004 FX4 and the reverse sensor switch turns itself off whenever I put the truck in reverse. So like any good forum user I scour the forums (and the net) for answers.

The first thing I tried was swapping the control unit and speaker from a friends F150 and my system failed in the exact same manner. My next course of action was to try and figure out if a sensor was bad. I put the truck in reverse and put my ear to each sensor to listen for the ticking noise a functioning sensor makes. Well the outside passenger sensor is not ticking I thought I had found the culprit. Happy that now my reverse sensors are just a parts order away from working again I try a sensor from my friends F150 in the position of the bad sensor and swapped the sensor from my truck I though was bad into his truck.

Here is where it gets interesting...... My reverse system still fails and his is still working just as it should. Arghhhhh

I checked the wiring that I could see and even took apart the connector for the spot that is not working to check all of the connections and all looks good. Anyone had a problem that was not with the control box or one of the sensors this is really frustrating.

Any insight into this problem could help save my sanity.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:59 PM

Default bad wiring

I had a similar problem with my sensors. The problem was a broken wire in the harness. I replaced the harness, aprox $100, but could have soldered the break if I hadn't pulled the old harness out before finding the break.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Daver
I had a similar problem with my sensors. The problem was a broken wire in the harness. I replaced the harness, aprox $100, but could have soldered the break if I hadn't pulled the old harness out before finding the break.
Do you happen to remember where the break was? I was just wondering if it happens to break in a common place that I may be able to find without having to pull the whole harness. I guess if it could be anywhere I should pull the harness and check the whole thing before I buy a part that is not going to fix my problem.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:43 AM

Default sensors

The break was closer to the outside sensor on the drivers side.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:47 PM

So today I found the problem!! There was a small break in the insulation on the power wire to the passenger outside sensor that allowed the wire to corrode. A visual inspection showed no real damage but upon closer inspection I found the small break. Clipped the wire cleaned,soldered and sealed the wire to find a functioning reverse sensor system. Glad it is fixed and I avoided paying the stealership. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:57 PM

Got the same problem.

Quick Reply: Reverse sensors driving me crazy!!!