Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Retrofitting OEM style radio

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retrofitting OEM style radio

I would think it's possible with the right wiring diagrams, but is it possible to install an OEm radio from a newer ford into my 2004? I am wanting navigation, but instead of buying a pioneer or kenwood or something of the likes, just getting an used OEM radio from like a 2014 or 15 fusion or something that has navigation? Is that something that's easy to do without any major modifications or chopping up the truck? I already have a double din kenwood in there.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:07 AM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

Anything's possible, but I'll bet there's more support from the aftermarket to install a nav system. In the end I think it would be easier and less expensive. I doubt a system from a newer car would be plug and play with your truck.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:42 PM
Timber Baron

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

You'll need the antenna too, along with custom laid fiberglass trim pieces.....$$$$
Old 08-17-2015, 08:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just get Factory Nav unit for 2004-2008 F150, one from a Fusion will work, but it will need programmed to work correctly in your vehicle. I put a factory Nav unit in my 07 Screw, $550.00 and that was programming, updated map CD and GPS antenna. Aftermarket one can be cheaper depending on brand and options. I like things to look or to be as close to factory on my interior. Here is a pic of mine. Good luck.

Retrofitting OEM style radio-image-291749122.jpg
Old 08-17-2015, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What does the programming consist of?
Old 08-18-2015, 05:42 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure, I do know it's required due to different options like steering wheel controls or subwoofer, things like that. Mine was plug and play, works just the same as the unit that came factory in my truck. Look on ebay or Craigslist for Nav units that was made to fit your year of truck. I know there were plenty on ebay when I bought mine, ask the seller questions about programming for your vehicle.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:12 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Using an OEM type radio from a late model F150 would be difficult to use in a 2004 to 2008 F150 because the radio/head unit is separate from the display panel, where as the 2004 to 2008 radio/navigation units are one piece.

Buying a stock radio/navigation unit requires the head unit (radio/navigation system), the GPS antenna, and possibly a radio antenna adaptor, as the 2006 and up radios changed the antenna plug that's used. If you have a 2004 to early 2006 F150 and buy a radio or radio/navigation unit from a late 2006 and up F150, you'll need an adaptor, easily available at any stereo installation shop or online store.
As to the reprogramming, there's lots of confusion here. I've bought navigation units from a F150, and from a Lincoln. The difference is going to be what shows up on the screen as the unit powers up. The screen may show "F150", or other model name, but that does not effect the units operation.
Also, the options that came with the unit may or may not be "turned on". The radio/navigation units with the F150's were primarily just that: radio and navigation. The radio/navigation units that came with a Lincoln may have had other options, such as DVD capability to the overhead console screen for the rear passengers. There are also hands free (Bluetooth) capability to sync with your cell phone. These radio/navigation units were made by Pioneer, and as such, sold as Pioneer AVIC units to the general public that could be installed in any car that accepted a double DIN radio.
As to the purchase of a GPS antenna, buying one for a pioneer AVIC will work in your F150, or you can buy a genuine FoMoCo GPS antenna as well. The FoMoCo ones were made to clip onto a metal bracket above the radio in the dash, or to the left side by the gauge cluster. Buying a GPS antenna for the Pioneer AVIC will only require you to use a tie wrap to secure it under the dash yourself.
Getting the best amount of GPS satellites to register and lock to your GPS system is best done by placing the GPS antenna on a flat piece of metal plate. I used a 3x3 inch plate of steel, placed the GPS antenna on it, then mounted this under the center dashes tray. The metal plate helps in obtaining the signals from the satellites; without it, I would get 2, and the third required satellite needed to "lock" in your position would fade in and out. With the plate, I get 4 to 5 satellites easily. The OEM GPS has a clip on each side that's intended to hold it on a bracket by the instrument cluster area; it's easier to fasten it to this plate, then mount the plate onto the bracket in front of the radio, below the center dash tray. Just cut two slots into the tray you make with a dremmel tool cutting wheel, and snap the OEM GPS antenna onto it. Or if you buy a magnetic GPS antenna with the correct "pink" connector, it will hold onto the plate.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 08-28-2015 at 06:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Retrofitting OEM style radio