Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Reputable online wheel/tire sources?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 11:18 PM
Master of Trails

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reputable online wheel/tire sources?

Hi All,
I'm looking to replace the 20" wheels and Pirelli Scorpions on my 2007 FX4 Supercrew with some aftermarket 18" wheels and tires. Any recommendations on reputable online wheel and tire suppliers? I've looked at Tire Rack and Discount Tire Direct...pricing seems good, but can anyone give me their personal feedback/experience with these sites?
Also, any recommendations on tires? I'm looking for something in the 275/65-18 size to keep the same overall diameter as the 20" Scorpions. I need a year round tire that will spend 90% of it's life on pavement but we do like to get out on the dirt once in a while, and it has to be good in the snow. Seems like I see the Nitto Grapplers mentioned often on this forum...anyone think this would be a good choice given the parameters above?
TIA
Eric
Old 10-21-2010, 11:42 PM

I got my setup from a place called http://www.rimzoneonline.com/. They also have a lot of their items on ebay but I just called my order in and they were very helpful. FSU FX4 also ordered his setup from them and neither of us had any problems. Once the wheels/tires arrived all I had to do was put them on and I have had no problems so far.

Not sure if they have the setup you want but my experience with them was good.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:45 PM

i bought mine from a guy pushing them down the side walk in a shopping cart.if i happen to see him again i will flag him down and see if he can get another set.
actually got them through mrwheeldeal.com

Last edited by rrogers1221; 10-21-2010 at 11:50 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:22 AM

Thumbs up Tire Rack

I've bought tires from the Tire Rack twice and they shipped fast, no issues. Sometimes installers get pissed that you didn't buy tires from them and will over-price installation. I actually had a local place that refused to mount my tires once.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:12 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Originally Posted by BCHeckler
Hi All,
I'm looking to replace the 20" wheels and Pirelli Scorpions on my 2007 FX4 Supercrew with some aftermarket 18" wheels and tires. Any recommendations on reputable online wheel and tire suppliers? I've looked at Tire Rack and Discount Tire Direct...pricing seems good, but can anyone give me their personal feedback/experience with these sites?
Also, any recommendations on tires? I'm looking for something in the 275/65-18 size to keep the same overall diameter as the 20" Scorpions. I need a year round tire that will spend 90% of it's life on pavement but we do like to get out on the dirt once in a while, and it has to be good in the snow. Seems like I see the Nitto Grapplers mentioned often on this forum...anyone think this would be a good choice given the parameters above?
TIA
Eric
Those are 2 of the best places that I have heard...I bought my BFG KM2 Muds from discount...best price at the time over anybody on the net. I did alot of research prior. good luck
Old 10-23-2010, 10:28 AM
TSR Motorsports

i have bought tires and wheels from both places (tire rack & discount tire direct), and both had very good shipping prices and a very quick delivery.

Tire rack usually has better prices, until you factor in the price of shipping. Discount Tires Direct has free shipping on the tires I was looking at. Both websites have an installer program that will install the wheels and/or tires for you.

http://dt.know-where.com/DiscountTireInstaller/
http://www.tirerack.com/installer/index.jsp

something to keep in mind is that if you purchase wheels and tires from either of the two places they can mount and balance the tires for you for a nominal fee, then all you have to do is install the wheels.

i recently priced out BF Goodrich All-Terrain (275/70-18) on both sites and with shipping, Discount Tire was much cheaper. I however went with a local shop since the price difference was small between ordering local or online, and i would rather support a local shop then a major company, plus if i have a problem i dont have to go far to have someone look at it.

as for tires, I would highly recommend either the Bridgestone Dueller Revo or the BF Goodrich All-Terrain's. very good long lasting tires for on and off road use and great in the snow.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:50 PM

SD Wheel corp on ebay was pretty good got my tires from then wicked deals and super fast shipping i was impressed
Old 10-23-2010, 10:40 PM

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

TIRERACK.COM

Ive even bought tires from Discount Tire and when I went to their store the tires still had a sticker from TIRERACK on them...

TIRERACK even has a cool link on their web site where you can see different wheels on your truck.....
Old 10-24-2010, 12:07 PM
Master of Trails

Default Thanks for the replies....

Lots of good info there. Looks like I'll be OK with either Tire Rack or Discount. Tire Rack has the wheels that I want(Dick Cepek DC-2) but not the Nitto Grapplers. I might go with the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armour tires instead.
I do believe in supporting local businesses so I will compare with local suppliers and if they're within a couple hundred bucks for the wheels/tires, I'll buy locally.
Thanks guys. I'll update when my new wheels and tires on on the truck.
Eric

Quick Reply: Reputable online wheel/tire sources?