Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Replacing engine..... Need some wisdom...

Old 01-08-2019, 01:55 PM

Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Replacing engine..... Need some wisdom...

2006 King Ranch Crew
5.4 3v

Here's my situation....

​I bought this truck from a dear friend 2 years ago. It's in good shape for its age and I love the KR interior... (primary reason I bought it) He gave me a solid deal on it and, as I'd already done my due diligence, I was well aware of the imperfections and deficiencies..... engine etc etc etc (primarily due to this site and several VERY knowledgeable contributors). As a result I entered the deal knowing I would need to replace the engine etc at some point. Well, that day has arrived.

​​​​​​About 3 weeks ago the engine kicked a P0016. It's currently driving pretty well with just a slight bit of rough ideal and, at temp and at idle, it'll roll misfires like a slot machine. Interestingly enough, ZERO misfires when rolling and very few when in gear at a stoplight etc.

Anyway the engine has over 250k on it so rather than tear into it and rebuild I'm going to simply replace it. I've already ordered my engine with the full complement of upgrades from powersource out of memphis. I've arranged for a Ford dealer who I hunt with and who is a good friend to install, etc. I'm also familiar with and friendly with the entire service crew, etc. The owners brother, who is the service manager, is also a good friend. So, I think I've got my bases covered in regards to the engine.

However, while the engine is out I want them to replace anything and everything that needs it.. Attempt to bring it back to as new, at least as is possible and reasonable.

Currently the tranny operates great with the exception of the rumble strip affect at times.... 4x4 works great in both ranges, etc. While the engine is out i am going to have them check it out, etc.

My questions to the many here who know WAY more than I do are as follows.......

What components would you replace, no matter the condition, in order to upgrade the engine, etc? Water pump, heavy duty alternator, etc etc etc The engine already has all the upgrades in regards to the timing components, HV oil pump etc. I have already told them to replace ALL belts, hoses, wiring, etc. that they deem necessary. I've already rebuilt the front suspension, but, might upgrade it and the same with the exhaust system. (considering short headers, etc)

Thank you SO much for any advice as I'm sure in need of it!

I also want to thank all of you on this site for the TON of great advice over the past couple of years.... "Torque," "Redfish," etc etc etc. The great advice from this site, and several members in particular, instilled in me the confidence to do the vast, vast majority of repairs, maintenance, and improvements that have been accomplished to date.

​​​
Old 01-08-2019, 02:03 PM
Super Duper Senior Member

Received 346 Likes on 281 Posts

Sounds like you have things covered. I would have them replace the engine and trans mounts while the have the cab off. Maybe even do the bushings between the cab and frame. Assuming that they do take the cab off of course. That's how they replaced my engine.

I had a really bad shake on braking from high speeds. Ended up being my trans mount was bad and had play in it.

My replacement was a Ford reman engine, so I had them do a higher flow Melling oil pump as well, but you mentioned that.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:08 PM

Received 132 Likes on 82 Posts

I'll bet you have a power steering leak. Now is the time to replace those hoses if that is the source, and it usually is.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:59 AM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

If you’re that close to somebody at a Ford dealership, you should’ve got a Ford reman IMO. This is the route I went. Basically just pulled mine and dropped new one in. Came 98% install ready. Only thing it didn’t come with was an intake, which I’d recommend replacing amd a good throttle body cleaning. I also put a new ac compressor in due to its location and changed both upstream O2 sensors.

What upgrades is powersource doing?

Last edited by nrivera04; 01-09-2019 at 04:03 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:06 AM

Default Thank you for the responses....

Thank you guys for the responses, they're greatly appreciated!

i am replacing all hoses, belts, and lines as well as bringing the AC back to as new .

In response to the questions regarding the Powersource engine in question, here's an excerpt from their website in regards to the 5.4....

"To correct the oil clearance issues, the cam journals are align bored and a custom-made cam bearing is installed. In addition, they're built with a high volume oil pump to insure an adequate supply of oil pressure to the heads. Our engines are built with all new valvetrain and timing components plus updated graphite coated hypereutectic pistons."

i verified with PS that all available upgraded OEM components were used, etc, and they confirmed that they were.

The reason i went with PS vs Ford reman was it's the same engine. It's my understanding that both are remanufactured by AER. The only difference is the warranty (and $2k) and i can live with the differences. However, as I'm getting a Ford dealer to install there shouldn't be any issues or questions in regards to the installation of the engine. I also purchased the "no fault" option for the warranty.

One question i still have is this... .

is it worth installing shorty headers, and, if so, what manufacture would you'll recommend?

Thank you again for the responses!

Last edited by Slicefixer; 01-10-2019 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:34 PM

Received 124 Likes on 94 Posts

Here is something you maybe overlooking. That Trans shutter you are feeling very well could be the converter going out. It would be wise to go ahead with that while the engine is out. Otherwise you could be pulling the trans out in a couple months.
The following users liked this post:
dukedkt442 (01-11-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 07:38 PM

Default Will do.... 👍

Originally Posted by Screwed05
Here is something you maybe overlooking. That Trans shutter you are feeling very well could be the converter going out. It would be wise to go ahead with that while the engine is out. Otherwise you could be pulling the trans out in a couple months.
Thank you and will do!
Old 01-11-2019, 08:54 AM

Received 291 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Screwed05
Definitely a great idea. I learned that the hard way on my Olds... countless hours wasted on several transmission pulled to find the leak (cracked TC) which would have been prevented while its engine was out (it had a known leak, which I'd assumed was the pan; I assumed wrong).
Old 01-12-2019, 09:18 AM
Super Duper Senior Member

Received 346 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Slicefixer
In response to the questions regarding the Powersource engine in question, here's an excerpt from their website in regards to the 5.4....

"To correct the oil clearance issues, the cam journals are align bored and a custom-made cam bearing is installed. In addition, they're built with a high volume oil pump to insure an adequate supply of oil pressure to the heads. Our engines are built with all new valvetrain and timing components plus updated graphite coated hypereutectic pistons."
This is pretty much what I was told about my Ford reman engine. High volume oil pump, reworked oil channels to allow better oil flow to the heads (an issue with the older engines apparently), updated timing components, etc
Old 01-12-2019, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by tuflehundon
This is pretty much what I was told about my Ford reman engine. High volume oil pump, reworked oil channels to allow better oil flow to the heads (an issue with the older engines apparently), updated timing components, etc
How's your engine working out? I'm curious as to what to expect.

Thank you!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing engine..... Need some wisdom...