Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Replaced Throttle body-Still having problems!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 09:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replaced Throttle body-Still having problems!!

So I had my '04 5.4 into the dealer about 2 weeks ago and they said I needed to reprogram the PCM and a new TB. I had them reprogram it but replaced the throttle body myself because it's easy and $400 cheaper for me to do it. Anyway this is also after a major tune up of spark plugs replaced, coils, fuel filter, maf cleaning, trans flush, rear diff fluid change, new vapor canister purge valve, and new felt around the air box(supposed bog down fix). I've read countless pages on here about this mother fuc*ing bogging down issue and I'm still having it. I hate this truck, it's been the biggest pain in the *** vehicle I've ever owned. Only had it for 2 months and easily dumped $2000 just in parts. I have no check engine lights on or anything. The truck just hesitates below 2000 rpm and above. If I punch the gas it comes out of it. I just reset the computer today(unhooked the battery)and still having hesitation issues. Does anyone have any suggestions on what the hell else I can replace? Does it take a while for the computer to reset and get used to driving conditions for fuel trim adjustment?
Old 01-09-2013, 10:39 PM

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

can you do an in the cab video that shows what you are concerned about
Old 01-10-2013, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by curtk69
can you do an in the cab video that shows what you are concerned about
Yeah I'll have to do that and see if you can hear anything. I thought maybe having the air box off several times when working on it was causing the moan of the motor. Maybe letting too much air in but everything seems tight and I just put a new seal around the air tray. It makes the truck seem like a piece of shi* but man does it look good! That's the only good thing I can say.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:13 AM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Did you have the PCM flashed after you installed the throttle body? I had to have mine flashed after installing mine....
Old 01-10-2013, 04:44 PM
DIY

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

have you checked the fuel module over the rear axle?
Old 01-10-2013, 06:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

How many miles do u have on it ? Clogged Catalytic converter possibly ?
Old 01-10-2013, 06:07 PM
Sheep Dog

Received 327 Likes on 196 Posts

The good news is that you know a full tune-up has been done and once this issue is sorted out, your truck should be running in top shape. As picaflor suggested, check the FPDM. You have to pull it off the cross member and inspect the back, even if it looks good from underneath.

How many miles on the truck? You might need new O2 sensors.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by alsatropine
Did you have the PCM flashed after you installed the throttle body? I had to have mine flashed after installing mine....
I had mine flashed before when I took it into the dealer because they said it needed to be done even if I didn't replace the throttle body. So do I need to have it re-flashed again at the dealer? Is there a programmer I can buy so I don't have to keep taking it to them?
Old 01-11-2013, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by cleveland lotlizards
How many miles do u have on it ? Clogged Catalytic converter possibly ?
It's got 147,000 on it. I've only put 1,000 on it since I bought it 2 months ago. I was thinking of having an exhaust shop replace all that this spring. Maybe even cut the cats off. No emissions tests to pass where I live.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by VTX1800N1
The good news is that you know a full tune-up has been done and once this issue is sorted out, your truck should be running in top shape. As picaflor suggested, check the FPDM. You have to pull it off the cross member and inspect the back, even if it looks good from underneath.

How many miles on the truck? You might need new O2 sensors.
Yeah I read about that Fuel module and seems like that could be an issue with mine. 147k miles. I'm sure it probably needs everything since absolutely no maintenance had been done by the previous owner. I never understand how some people get nice vehicles and don't take care of them at all. It's sickening.

Quick Reply: Replaced Throttle body-Still having problems!!