Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

reoccuring engine code p0356

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reoccuring engine code p0356

on my '04 150 with a 5.4 v-8 the above DTC keeps reappearing after swapping out the coil on #6 cylinder 3 times. I have also replaced the wire connector on top of the coil and have soldered the wires together, so I know that there is a good connection. Symptoms just prior to it 'throwing" the code include...smooth running at highway speeds, then she shudders and stumbles for about 5-6 seconds before returning to smooth running with the "light" on. Any ideas ?????
All plugs and coils have been replaced within the last few thousand miles...
Old 04-27-2017, 07:57 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default Test your incoming signal to #6 compare to #7

P0356 is stored when the PCM detects an open or short with the driver coil dedicated to coil #6. In some vehicles, the PCM will actually go ahead and shut down this coil’s fuel injector to prevent further damage.
Put a volt meter on 12volt side of coil.
You realize that 12 volts is standing on all the coils one side, Make sure its there . . The pcm pulses the ground side . If that point is shorted to ground ,meaning your harness in trouble you will get this symptom .
I hope you have changed out the plug and boot as an overload can damage this circuit . There have been reports of a short in wiring harness near number 6 ,rubbing on a bracket .
Use contact cleaner on harness plug . If its not locking on replace it and solder connections .

Quick Reply: reoccuring engine code p0356