Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

removing clutch fan

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default removing clutch fan

Im trying to remove the fan so i can put my e fans on, but cant seem to get it off. The fan loosens by moving the wrench toward the passenger side right? How do I keep the water pump pulley from moving.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you have access to an air hammer use that...makes it way easier
Old 04-05-2010, 11:27 PM
VanoFord2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 69ford99
Im trying to remove the fan so i can put my e fans on, but cant seem to get it off. The fan loosens by moving the wrench toward the passenger side right? How do I keep the water pump pulley from moving.
Counterclockwise for the fan clutch,and a pulley wrench to keep the pulley from turning.Just did mine today actually,well not e-fans,but replaced my fan clutch.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:21 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

If I may ask, why are you installing electric fan(s)? If it's to gain HP, it's not going to be very much gain, and if it's to gain MPG, that will net you about .3 MPG on a tank of gas. This equates to 3 miles more with a 30 gallon tank.

Hope those e-fans did not cost you much.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:06 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucko
If I may ask, why are you installing electric fan(s)? If it's to gain HP, it's not going to be very much gain, and if it's to gain MPG, that will net you about .3 MPG on a tank of gas. This equates to 3 miles more with a 30 gallon tank.

Hope those e-fans did not cost you much.
Is this the exact gains of e-fans? Everyone talks about "feeling the difference" but this contradicts all that. I have been considering doing a e-fan swap but if thats all it does, i'd rather keep my $200. Sorry, not trying to steal your thread.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:28 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

I didn't mean to either. My appologies if I'm thought to have hijacked the thread.

I'm interested in what those think they have gained either in MPG or HP with this mod. Some have indicated that their AC works better in the hot summers with electric fans. I'd buy this solution, but I'm having difficulty in accepting worthy HP or MPG gains from it.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:10 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Is that why every person I've ever seen that has done them has said its one of the best drivability changers they've done for the money? Maybe on your 4.2 it won't change much but everybody with the 5.4 who's done it has great things to say. Not tryin to be an ******* but how can you say that when you've never done it and obviously not talked to anyone who has...
Old 04-06-2010, 01:53 PM

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I did the Mark VIII swap on my 92 mustang. Of course, I had shoehorned in a 351 windsor block with custom cam, AFR heads, Longtube headers, and many other go fast goodies. Needless to say, the stock fan would not cut it. I had overheating issues with the fan and mild mods on the 302. After electric fan and Afco radiator, temps were never an issue again.

You don't gain horsepower by this mod necessarily. It frees up the rotational drag the belt driven fans imparts. Granted, they are temp controlled clutches, there is still power leeched getting the fans to spin. It makes for a snappier engine response. take a pencil between your finger and roll it between your fingers. Now do the same for a pencil sized lead tube. Rotational mass does wick repsonse.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:00 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Originally Posted by bossman15
Is that why every person I've ever seen that has done them has said its one of the best drivability changers they've done for the money? Maybe on your 4.2 it won't change much but everybody with the 5.4 who's done it has great things to say. Not tryin to be an ******* but how can you say that when you've never done it and obviously not talked to anyone who has...
Without this getting personal, that's all I'm asking for, actual testimonials. I'm in no way an expert on all these mods; I read as much as I can on a topic, listen to others, and yes, I have talked to folks that have done the mod on their vehicle. Most did it to improve cooling efficiency, as the AC in these trucks seem to suffer in the hot southern summers. On an episode of Gearz (this past weekend on Speed), the host talked of an electric fan kit they installed on a Chevy truck. It did not show any significant HP gains, nor did it show massive MPG gains (he reported .3 per mile, or 3 miles per tankful on a 30 gallon tank). Not saying it does not reduce drag; the show did state it provided better AC condensor cooling functionality meaning better AC cooling was obtained in the summer. Now if the electric fan kit is combined with smaller pulleys, then perhaps the gains gets better, but again, more money is spent.

This mod could be a lot of money to spend, but not much bang for the buck. Most here agree that when you get into this price range, a tuner is a best bet. Another good case is a Cold Air Intakes (CAI); many go out and buy the kits and install. It was shown and agreed to on this forum that the GOTTS mod on a stock air cleaner box is just as good, and saves you around 150 bucks.

Many performance parts on a V8 can provide significant gains on a V6. My 4.2 will never beat the 5.4, but it can benefit just as well with simular 5.4 mods.

How is power being measured with an electric fan kit install? You really need dyno before/after readings on this mod to prove significant improvement in HP/TQ. I've not seen these posted here.

All I'm asking for is honest testimony, and hopefully with a bit of fact to back it up.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 04-06-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:57 PM

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

Default E-fans

Defiantly noticeable! 5.4

Quick Reply: removing clutch fan