Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

refurb oem alternator, 300 miles later, no charge

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 09:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default refurb oem alternator, 300 miles later, no charge

So i got a MOTORCRAFT GLV-8781RM alternator installed on my truck, along with a brand new battery. truck was charging strong as it should for about 300 miles. on the way home from hunting the other day my battery light came on and the screen said "check charging system" or something to that effect. i got it home and tested the voltage at the battery... zero change between when the truck is running and when it is not. 12.2 volts at the time(i had drained the battery a bit getting it home)...

is there anything else that it could be? a voltage regulator, etc? im used to alternators giving some sort of output when they go bad.. 0.6v rise, occasionally jumping to 16v or something weird, not going completely inoperative like they arent even there...

should i have gotten a different alternator? there are a ton of part numbers out there all which seem to be motorcraft oem??!! ive found like 5+ all that say they will fit my truck..
Old 10-22-2018, 12:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine eats alternators every 3 years. Went Napa gold and get a new free one every time. First Ford OEM replacement only lasted 16 months. I have aftermarket guages so I catch the alternator when it pops. Had the electrical system checked by dealer. Everthing checks out fine including ground.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:42 PM

Received 241 Likes on 174 Posts

I recently put a brand new Remy alternator on my truck and have had good luck so far. It's too early to tell if it's a good long term option, but so far so good.

For what it's work, make sure the mounting points on your engine are clean where you mount the alternator and also it wouldn't hurt to rub some of that electrical grease (not to be confused with dielectric grease) on the mounting points as well after you clean them off to ensure the alternator is properly grounded and remains properly grounded.

Also my new alternator checked out at 14.3 volts if I remember correctly. I can double check for you if necessary.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:58 PM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Originally Posted by Idiggplants
So i got a MOTORCRAFT GLV-8781RM alternator installed on my truck, along with a brand new battery. truck was charging strong as it should for about 300 miles. on the way home from hunting the other day my battery light came on and the screen said "check charging system" or something to that effect. i got it home and tested the voltage at the battery... zero change between when the truck is running and when it is not. 12.2 volts at the time(i had drained the battery a bit getting it home)...

is there anything else that it could be? a voltage regulator, etc? im used to alternators giving some sort of output when they go bad.. 0.6v rise, occasionally jumping to 16v or something weird, not going completely inoperative like they arent even there...

should i have gotten a different alternator? there are a ton of part numbers out there all which seem to be motorcraft oem??!! ive found like 5+ all that say they will fit my truck..
Check Alt connections for good,solid contact.. no corrosion. I never heard of an OEM re-man taking a crap that soon. may of just got a bad one. with only 300 miles on it I would return it for a new one and be done.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:08 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default Its self contained volt regulator and all

You just got a bad one . They just do the minimum on reman some worse than others . Get a good warranty . A short to kill alternator would kill battery and produce a lot of heat and fire .The only other thing would be a bad belt /tensioner .Maybe even belt on wrong ,I have seen that .

Quick Reply: refurb oem alternator, 300 miles later, no charge