Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Recent Electrical problem from hell... Please help!

Old 11-29-2012, 12:32 AM
teh n00b

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Recent Electrical problem from hell... Please help!

So I have a 2005 F150 King Ranch SCREW w/ a 2.5" leveling kit, 2011 wheels, 2011 tow mirrors, Edge Evolution, flow master dual exhaust, magnaflow high flow cats, air raid intake, and two kicker 10's under the rear seat with a 250 watt JL amp. All of these modifications have been done for nearly a year.

Now that you know the truck and what has been done, tonight I pulled into the starbucks and I opened up my door and noticed the left side over head dome light was dimming and slightly blinking. I figured a bad connection so I popped it down for a second and went to tighten the little socket to see if it would be a quick fix. Well, that plan back fired and turned into a bad night. All of the sudden none of my accessories work!!!

Here is a list of the inop items:
  • Air bag light is on
  • No power windows (can't roll them up, currently stuck down)
  • no garage door opener up in the visor
  • no dome lights
  • no radio
  • My "a/c" works... but the actual A/C part does not. I only get heat and the compressor does not kick on
  • no gauges (RPM, speed, fuel, temps, batt ect) although the lights in everything illuminates
  • no reading in my gauges with the miles, mpg ect... you know, the screen.
I checked the fuse box, switched around relays to see if anything changes, pulled out every fuse by hand to physically check them to see if they are bad one by one. Unplugged the battery for 10 minutes. Unplugged the computer in the engine bay also for alittle while... Im pulling up two codes: Fuel level sensor low voltage circuit, and OBD test incomplete or something like that.

I've also had a growing problem with if my door is open, I can not roll my windows up but I believe I know the issue for that from what I was reading about the wires getting chaffed in the door. but thats the least of my worries..

I hope I supplied enough info to bettery help with my diagnostics. I beg for any help or info reguarding the issue.

God bless
Old 11-29-2012, 12:45 AM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm assuming then, the battery has a good charge and isn't grounding through the wires in the door?
Otherwise, when electrical goes to pot all at once, I go with the GEM. It's located on the back of the fuse block.

HTH
Old 11-29-2012, 02:26 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by wrvond
I'm assuming then, the battery has a good charge and isn't grounding through the wires in the door?
Otherwise, when electrical goes to pot all at once, I go with the GEM. It's located on the back of the fuse block.

HTH
Umm... I think you might have your years messed up. To the extent of my knowledge the 04-08 F150s don't have GEMs that was only 97-03. We now have a true BCM(BSM/VSM) along with an ECM. It sounds like there is an issue with the BCM because if I remember correctly it controls about 90% of the things you listed. Only thing I'm not sure about is the control for the air compressor, it could fall under PCM, but the HVAC would be considered a part of the BCM. The Body Control Module located on the back wall tend to go bad every now and again. Read the tutorial on how to take off your backseat, unplug the BCM (disconnect negative terminal on battery first for at least 5 minutes, because it will give the computer ample time to fully power down), and wait a little while. Plug everything back in and see if anything changes. Your CELs seem to be unrelated to issues, but there could also be an issue with the ECM because you mentioned a failure to fully read on the OBDII port, correct? I really can't say for certain, but I'm guessing it is either a failure on the BCM/ECM computers. Also it doesn't necessarily mean the computer is at fault, but the wires feeding it the connections could also be the issue. You could have a short somewhere possibly. Also where you messed with bulb in the roof, you didn't pinch any wiring harnesses correct? It is a possibility but unlikely.

Edit: Also it couldn't hurt to get the electrical system load tested including the alternator and battery. You never know right? You can really start having some strange symptoms happen when the battery's cells start to fade.
The following 2 users liked this post by BolletuH:
swflkr (11-29-2012), wrvond (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 05:47 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Bad Batt....
Old 11-29-2012, 08:10 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

You mention it started with your door. I had a similar issue with my door. My driver side window wouldn't go up or down . If you remove the rubber boot in the door jam, the wires in there were being pulled apart. I had to extend and solder like 4 connections. Maybe if the right wires ripped it could be the cause or at least part of your problem.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:38 AM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by BolletuH
Umm... I think you might have your years messed up. To the extent of my knowledge the 04-08 F150s don't have GEMs that was only 97-03. We now have a true BCM(BSM/VSM) along with an ECM. It sounds like there is an issue with the BCM because if I remember correctly it controls about 90% of the things you listed. Only thing I'm not sure about is the control for the air compressor, it could fall under PCM, but the HVAC would be considered a part of the BCM. The Body Control Module located on the back wall tend to go bad every now and again. Read the tutorial on how to take off your backseat, unplug the BCM (disconnect negative terminal on battery first for at least 5 minutes, because it will give the computer ample time to fully power down), and wait a little while. Plug everything back in and see if anything changes. Your CELs seem to be unrelated to issues, but there could also be an issue with the ECM because you mentioned a failure to fully read on the OBDII port, correct? I really can't say for certain, but I'm guessing it is either a failure on the BCM/ECM computers. Also it doesn't necessarily mean the computer is at fault, but the wires feeding it the connections could also be the issue. You could have a short somewhere possibly. Also where you messed with bulb in the roof, you didn't pinch any wiring harnesses correct? It is a possibility but unlikely.

Edit: Also it couldn't hurt to get the electrical system load tested including the alternator and battery. You never know right? You can really start having some strange symptoms happen when the battery's cells start to fade.
You are absolutely right. Thanks for straightening me out.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:30 PM
teh n00b

Thank you for all the quick replies! Bonnet, I appreciate the info I'll take the back seat out and see what I can find. Is there anyway to test the bcm? It's almost like there's an acc type wire bad if you know what im saying because I wanna say everything has constant power being that I can hear my cd changer going through its cycle when I re connect the battery. It's just not getting the power on signal. I would expect the same with everything else which is why I expect some computer/module issue. I don't believe it would be some specific fuse (well I already checked them ALL) because the issue is so wide spread in different areas throughout the truck. You know?
When I clock off for the day I'll pull it in and start tearing it apart to get to the module.

Anyone else get what I'm saying and agree? I'm not good at explaining myself so I apologize if it does not make sense
Old 11-29-2012, 12:46 PM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

have you read the voltage on your batt yet...truck off
Old 11-29-2012, 02:02 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by wrvond
You are absolutely right. Thanks for straightening me out.
Can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:11 PM
teh n00b

Techrep ill let you know what the voltage is here in alittle bit when I get to testing it. I just highly doubt a bad battery because my truck is has a very good crank over to it and my headlights still turn on and arent dim at all.

Anyone know where I can find a wiring diagram for this BCM?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Recent Electrical problem from hell... Please help!