Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Rear window leaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Received 1,683 Likes on 588 Posts

Default Rear window leaking

So I know it's not uncommon for the high mount stop lamp housing to leak in the 11th gen (knock on wood, mine doesn't), but after taking my truck thru a car wash a couple days ago, my daughter noticed that water was coming in from under the seal in the power slide rear window. Is there any way to fix this or is this something that I have to live with and be cognizant of it?
Old 06-09-2017, 02:58 PM

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I'd inspect all the seals and trim pieces to ensure their seated correctly and in position correctly. Look for cracking or weathered pieces which could allow water intrusion.

If all is ok, u might try some type of treatment on the seals and trim. Sometimes pieces may shrink up when they dry out over time. I had this happen with an old truck i had years ago. I put vasoline on the door seals and rubbed it in real good and it sealed the doors so well ur ears wud pop when u cracked a window!

Just a thought
Old 06-09-2017, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Received 1,683 Likes on 588 Posts

Good thought. I will check those things and then probably use Vasoline just as a precautionary measure.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My rear window was leaking and after searching, I found it is a pretty common problem on this generation of F150. All of the visible trim on the outside of the vehicle is just that, trim. The seal is sandwiched between the window and the cab of the truck, so there if it is leaking, the only way to address it is to remove the window and replace the seal. It's not particularly difficult, but is takes a long time.

From my experience and what I have read, the issue is the window was installed at the factory and not tightened enough. As the seal shrinks, gaps form. When I started to remove mine, I found all of the nuts were loose enough to take them off without a wrench. Initially I tried just tightening them, but it still leaked. Once I got the window out, it was clear that tightening it will only help if you do it prior to a leak. Once a gap forms and a leak starts, the seal gets too dirty to do its job, even when tight.

Some users on forums indicated they took it to a glass shop and had it re-sealed, one person said they removed all of the interior trim first and it saved them a bit.